Ordering My 3G 130amp Alt Right Now, What All Do I Need?

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Hey guys im in the process of ordering my 3G 130amp right now from 50resto. They sell PA Performance alts so its good. But do I just need to order the alt or is their some kind of wires I need to buy extra? Thanks guys.

Dave

:OT: But does anyone know if I need a smog bracket or something to use on a blower bracket when not using the smog pump? Do I just not put it on there or is there something I need to buy? Thanks guys:OT:

• Sponsors (?)

When switching to a 130a alternator, you need to get some 4ga cabling (about 6-8 feet), a fuse holder with a 150-200 amp fuse, and some ring terminals to connect the cable to the solonoid, alt, and on both sides of the fuse (4). I got all this stuff at a local stereo shop and it wasn't that expensive. The stock wiring can't handle the extra current and can heat up, melt, start fire, and/or just not allow the alternator to perform like it should.

As for your other question... do you mean for just eliminating the smog pump? You don't have to buy anything to replace it. You can just run a shorter belt and bypass it altogether. Sorry If I'm misunderstanding your question.
Hope this helps!

BADPONYsc said:
When switching to a 130a alternator, you need to get some 4ga cabling (about 6-8 feet), a fuse holder with a 150-200 amp fuse, and some ring terminals to connect the cable to the solonoid, alt, and on both sides of the fuse (4). I got all this stuff at a local stereo shop and it wasn't that expensive. The stock wiring can't handle the extra current and can heat up, melt, start fire, and/or just not allow the alternator to perform like it should.

As for your other question... do you mean for just eliminating the smog pump? You don't have to buy anything to replace it. You can just run a shorter belt and bypass it altogether. Sorry If I'm misunderstanding your question.
Hope this helps!
Thanks man. So I dont need to order anything else from 50resto.com to go with the 3G, just get everything at a stereo shop?

On the other question. I am talking about leaving the smog pump off on a blower application. I was just wondering if I need something to put back in its place on the bracket or do I just leave it off and run a smaller belt. Thanks for the help

Dave

Some places sell kits with the cabling, fuse, etc... I know PAperformance does, but I think it was cheaper just getting it at a car stereo shop. They sell the cabling by the foot (like $1 per foot), the fuse and fuse holder (it was like $15 or so), and the gold ring terminals (like 50 cents each). I got it at a locally owned car stereo place... every town has one I'm sure.

I don't know about the blower thing though.... sorry. Someone will jump in here though.
Hope this helps!

Autozone has 130 AMP 94-95 lifetime warranty alternators for $108.00. I got my 4 gauge stuff at a local marine store. As far as the smog pump is concerned you can just buy a smog pump eliminator for around $50.