Progress Thread Oregon Pace Car Story to Coolness

ITS RED! Finished painting late Friday. Other then a few runs in the 3rd clear coat, not bad. That and the small thumb print from my wife's "IS IT DRY "..... It is a lot darker then I had hoped, but think it looks good. I was going to do the lower body BLACK, but now not so sure. Was thinking yellow, but silver may look better? Any ideas would be good. Start sanding and polishing Wednesday. Will do the upper portion of the engine compartment after filling in all the holes and cleaning up rough stuff. Doing the same red. Then pulling the suspension for rework. Will have many questions. Later,

Attachments

• Painted Red 2.jpg
    Painted Red 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Red with Yellow.jpg
    Red with Yellow.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow looking good 79PK , want more better pictures.

voting Silver bottom and stock sticker package, hood scoop blacked out

Reactions: 1 user
Please not yellow...you'll look like a Washington football fan ( formally Redskins ).

I vote for silver also. Looks almost like the factory ford dark cabernet red. I like it.

• Agree
Silver seems to be the way to go. I have some silver and may paint the bottom of one door later this week. Thanks for the inputs. Was thinking doing the running horses in silver blending to black.

Reactions: 2 users
I painted the front lower section of the right fender silver. Looks good. Also painted around the hood scoop in silver. Not so good. Showing fender with my rims. Not a good photo of the hood. Will get a better photo.

Attachments

• Painted Red  Silver Fender old wheel.jpg
    Painted Red Silver Fender old wheel.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Painted Red Silver with wheel.jpg
    Painted Red Silver with wheel.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Painted Red Hood Silver.jpg
    Painted Red Hood Silver.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 1 users
While doing work on the Mustang, I have music on. Tired of the talk radio stuff here in Oregon. Anyway, the music I have in the CD is: Kingston Trio, Eagles, Best of the Monkeys, and oldies from the 60s. Any others have music to smooth out the sounds of working on their Mustangs??? My CD player is set on random play.

Reactions: 1 users
While doing work on the Mustang, I have music on. Tired of the talk radio stuff here in Oregon. Anyway, the music I have in the CD is: Kingston Trio, Eagles, Best of the Monkeys, and oldies from the 60s. Any others have music to smooth out the sounds of working on their Mustangs??? My CD player is set on random play.
Hell yeah! I have my phone on Pandora and Bluetoothed to a speaker in the garage. Some nights are Led Zepellin radio, some are Beatles radio......and anywhere in between.... but yes....music is always s a part of working on the car!!

Hello from Oregon. Been out of touch for awhile. Have stopped working on Mustang. Stopped for the holidays and really cold weather. Last month I had heart surgery. Had a valve replaced. Asked for a Ford Performance valve set.......insurance said no. So ended up with a over the counter valve. But did have it polished.....

Many other things going on. Wife's pay has been cut, yearly bonus stopped and on and on.

I am thinking about selling the Mustang. Can't see putting a bunch of money we no longer have into it. I have spent a bunch getting parts, having engine worked on and the newly rebuilt T-5. Plus boxes of new parts from LMR. Don't know how much to ask. Any idea's? May need to sell by parts. Engine, TRansmisson and the 95 Mustang disc brake system to include rear axle.

Any advise? Plus I am getting old. 71 this year....goes by so fast....
Larry

• Surprised
Oh no! This was not the update I expected to hear this spring. I was hoping you were staying warm and visiting grandkids.
How tough has the recovery been and does the blood pump work better with the new valve? I know a single complete blockage leading to stage 3 heart failure changes things a lot. Some friends with multiple stints that headed off a major heart attack were soon playing gigs and golf better than before.

Hello from Oregon. Been out of touch for awhile. Have stopped working on Mustang. Stopped for the holidays and really cold weather. Last month I had heart surgery. Had a valve replaced. Asked for a Ford Performance valve set.......insurance said no. So ended up with a over the counter valve. But did have it polished.....

Many other things going on. Wife's pay has been cut, yearly bonus stopped and on and on.

I am thinking about selling the Mustang. Can't see putting a bunch of money we no longer have into it. I have spent a bunch getting parts, having engine worked on and the newly rebuilt T-5. Plus boxes of new parts from LMR. Don't know how much to ask. Any idea's? May need to sell by parts. Engine, TRansmisson and the 95 Mustang disc brake system to include rear axle.

Larry
Damn man! Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck! Prayers are with you! Stay well!

Larry
I would only encourage you to not make a hasty decision to get rid of the car you so obviously enjoy. I'm 74 and just got my '86 back on the road in the last year or so...

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I know things are probably pretty overwhelming right now for you... Do not make any decisions emotionally... Sit down ( with your wife ( if she has good business sense) and put a plan together....

EDIT: The before and after pics got reversed.....

My wife ran off and my car looked like this. I had to find a new place to live and had to store my car ( it was in a hundred boxes of parts) for 3 years
DSCF0376.JPG
..... I was frantic for a time, but it all worked out.. Best thing I got was rid of her 26 years ago....
DSCF0216.JPG

Thank you all for the kind words. And thank you for your prayers, they are truly appreciated. The MEDs they have me on make me tired all day for some reason. Have to really push myself to get going. They have lowered one but don't see much improvement. Heart feels fine. I think I have all of my blood now. They took blood ever hour of so when I got out surgery......seemed like it anyway. I do still have needle marks in my right arm.. AND they shaved all my hair from my chest to the top of my knees..........some places are REALLY itchy now, REALLY itchy....LOL

Wife said I need to think this over for a while. (didn't say that when I sold my Edsel.....) So unless I get an offer I can't refuse, I will hold on for now.

It is getting warmer, so I will start working again. I hate the red, planning to repaint it the OEM pewter and black. Have a few bad spots to repair I did not see. One dent and one crack. Should not take me as long as before.

Will keep updates coming

Again, thanks for the prayers

Larry

Reactions: 3 users