Original 1974 version of Gone on TV NOW!!

• Sponsors (?)

i was watching it too and i don't think eleanor was really a '73. in one scene right after he steals her for the last time outside the towers i noticed the front end has the '71/72 bumper and lower valence but a '73 grill. maybe halicki got a good deal on a '71/72 and put on a '73 grill to make it look like the later model.

jikelly said:
Yeah I wondered about that too. I was wondering if it was a special model.

i don't think so. in '73 bumper requirments changed to either 2.5 or 5 mph impact bumpers. eleanor also had the rocker black out treatement that the '71'72 mach 1's had. one thing i didn't remember about eleanor that i like is the rear black-out treatment.

It was a '71 made to look like a '73 mach one. It has been written about several times, I just can't remember where to look.

Yeah, I saw it for the first time on saturday as well. I wasn't that impressed. The love story seemed to take up 75% of the plot and the rest was filled with cliche one liners and CGI's - no wait...that was Armageddon. It sucked!

krash kendall said:
It was a '71 made to look like a '73 mach one. It has been written about several times, I just can't remember where to look.

Yeah, I saw it for the first time on saturday as well. I wasn't that impressed. The love story seemed to take up 75% of the plot and the rest was filled with cliche one liners and CGI's - no wait...that was Armageddon. It sucked!

i originally saw gone in 60 seconds in the theater during it's original release. i remember that there was at least one song in the movie, maybe more. there weren't any on the showing i saw. i can't imagine that is was a rights issue. anybody remember this or know what the song(s) were deleted?
thanks for the info on the car krash. i'd never read that before. i've seen the movie many times and never noticed the front end until sunday.

Apparently you have to get the VHS version to get the original soundtrack which was more relevant to the scenes the songs were in. The DVD remaster has a totally different soundtrack. I think the thread that covered all this was lost in the server crash earlier this year.

According to the official gone site, Eleanor is indeed a 71 (www.gonein60seconds.com). I have an old artice from 1989 that quotes halicki (published 1 month before his death), and it says she's a 73. So go figure. I'd be willing to bet she's actually a 71 though, based on the timing of the movie, I doubt the 73's were out when production started-but I could be wrong. I have the VHS copy as well, and the original soundtrack was much better than the remastered version. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the different soundtrack-the original really added an extra touch.

This could be true, but they may have used a mock-up car for some of those interior shots. Sometimes the passenger side of the car was cut off to fit those big movie cameras in there and they were shot inside a studio. Good eye though, that pedal should have been twice as wide for an automatic.

There were two Eleanors for the original gone-the one that gets driven through most of the movie, then the "pretty" one. Halicki's widow still has the one that's driven for all the stunts, etc (it's pretty much the way it looked at the cars wash, but there's writing on it now)-the other one was sold to someone in Cali (it says what city in the article I have). I'm still a little confused on the interior subject though, because some shots in the movie show a deluxe interior, but a few stills I have show a standard interior. I'm going out to pick up the new collectors dvd after I get out of work tonight (assuming Wally world is still open!!), that's supposed to have a bunch of stills that haven't been released before, maybe that can answer some questions.

ughhh...I got the new dvd...and am watching the interview with Iacocca and he just gave Shelby credit for the Boss...Shinoda is turning in his grave....and he also said the Mach went to 71?! gahhhh The stills are cool though...