OT: Job Offer and a Dilemma

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
So I got a call from a guy yesterday about a teaching job, a real job offer. :nice: I'm not sure what the position would pay but I know starting teachers generally make around 26 something a year in Texas and that would be about 3 times what I make now.

Unfortunately I don't think that I can take the position. I'm still in school working on my master's degree and lack about 15 hours from finishing. Really I could still work on that during the summers and finish in a couple years. So, the real problem is the location which is a little over 200 hundred miles from where I am now. That would be a hell of a commute everyday. I do love driving though. It'd be a lot of miles on the stang though.

If it was just me I think I would jump on it, but since I'm engaged and living with my fiancé in the house she bought (please don't tell my mom) I don't think I should up and leave her. I guess I could get a place there and come home on the weekends or something, but really, I think it’s better if I just pass on this one and stick to the plan. What would you do?

• Sponsors (?)

i will say that you need to do what is right for you. if this job is something you want to do, and you like the place of work, then go for it, get your SO to move with you. on the other hand, if you have any reservations about the job itself, or if the SO doesnt want to move, or cant move, and you dont want to leave her, then pass. by the way, if you go, you can always transfer most if not all of your credits to a local university.

I am going to pass on the job. My Fiance' already makes a bunch at here job here in Lubbock and she doesn't want to move. I think I might do it if it was only 50 miles away. Oh well hopefully that I was considered means that there will be other job offers.

"I don't think I should up and leave her" ?????? :eek:

at the very least you and her should be having this conversation.........if you are serious about getting (and staying) married............ :stick:

eventually you will have to determine if there is enough job opportunities where you live now to stay in the area, anyway, even after you graduate....or that conversation is going to happen then....

that being said:

i don't think that a 200 mile commute is feasible, that's a 6 hour day right there....living there during the week could work, but you and her whould have to figger out how this will play out if you plan on staying there.........

one good sign is that you have people recruiting you now........you must be doing something right :banana:

good luck

mud :cheers:

mudbilly said:
one good sign is that you have people recruiting you now........you must be doing something right :banana:

Yeah, I'm breathing. :p

It looks like Texas is going to have an increasingly harder time finding and keeping teachers. You've got to give a hand to our legislature. They really know how to jack stuff up. :flag: