Ouch !!! Boy Did It Hurt

Rjaaaaaa

Jul 11, 2016
Well I thought I'd make a quick run the other day since the weather let up. Fired the old girl up and pulled out on the road and put it in second gear and WHAMMMM!!! up came the hood and slammed into the windshield. I could have cried. last time out I looked under the hood and it needed a 1/2 quart of oil so I left the hood pins off till I had time. Bad decision, I can't even take a picture of it, crushed the cowl in, tore the inside corner of the hood and smashed a corner on the rear of the raised scoop in the rear. It's repairable but It's sickening to know I just finished painting it 2 months ago. Definitely my fault but it still doesn't take away the knot in my stomach.
What a way to start the new year.:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh JEEZ! How bad does that suck!:dammit:

I'm sorry to hear that brother, especially since you just did all of that work.

Did the roof get any damage?

That sucks bad. It has happened to the best of us.

Wouldn't be hard to run a wire to the hood pin to ground a relay for the starter...if the pin isn't in the car no starty.

Seriously, I feel bad for you, man.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I thought I'd make a quick run the other day since the weather let up. Fired the old girl up and pulled out on the road and put it in second gear and WHAMMMM!!! up came the hood and slammed into the windshield. I could have cried. last time out I looked under the hood and it needed a 1/2 quart of oil so I left the hood pins off till I had time. Bad decision, I can't even take a picture of it, crushed the cowl in, tore the inside corner of the hood and smashed a corner on the rear of the raised scoop in the rear. It's repairable but It's sickening to know I just finished painting it 2 months ago. Definitely my fault but it still doesn't take away the knot in my stomach.
What a way to start the new year.:bang:

Sorry man, I know that's a soul crusher lol

The only reason I have not done this myself is because I've insisted on hoods with latches and latch catches. I installed hood pins because my Cervinis hood escaped the OEM latch on a few occasions. Scared the crap out of me every time. The OEM latch catch, saved it each time.

There has since been a time that the same latch catch saved me from forgetfulness. So the catch > OEM latch and catch > hood pins.

Aw hell, where was I going with this? :scratch:

How do you know he has sprites? Maybe he has Pixies,..or elves, or any number of lesser imps and demons.
And where are you trying to lift them to?
I looked in his fridge, and they were there. Damned 32-pack is heavy as hell!

71u70OXEBTL._SX355_.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Really sorry to hear about this. Sucks to happen to anyone, but especially someone who just spent a bunch of time, effort, and money painting their car themself. I hope you get it back on the road this spring and can enjoy it again.

Thanks for the sympathy, I'll get some photos soon and let you see the carnage. I think the cowl will pull up ok, but the hood, that will need some major surgery underneath in the hood hinge mounting area. Topside hood looks repairable and needs some paint. We'll wait for some warmer weather for all that. the hood will stay on with the pins in so it's still driveable and unless you get up close most people won't even notice driving by.

Reactions: 1 users
Any damage to the windshield? This happened to me in my '86 GT about twelve years ago. The flatter hood and roof line on the foxes at least meant that the windshield suffered no damage when it happened. Sorry to hear.

Loosened all the lugs on all 4 wheels on my old F150, I think to rotate them. I had all the doors off replacing rocker panels at the time. So a month later I pull off the highway to investigate a weird sound, my wheels looked like this...

Attachments

• ee8f7047f5398ba7de6536cb6875b2c5.jpg
    ee8f7047f5398ba7de6536cb6875b2c5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 140