Our Dream Cars "Classic and/or Restomod"

mdjay

Premium Sponsor
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
If you draw a line between Stock & Rock and Restomods, I thought I would try to give both sides something to think about...

While it boils the purest's blood to see these cars modified, keep in mind, they just happen to be driving up the value of your classic $.

Most of the stock & rock guys have been in this for a long time and have plenty to offer. Just as long as you guys do your best to give assistance with respect and not sarcasm, the return respect should be given. I'm pretty sure we're all adults here although sometimes it's tough to tell.

The preservation of rare cars should be just understood! Even still, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

The Mod guys are here to have fun, be unique and inject the latest technology into these classic icons. Most can't afford to buy a thoroughbred up front. But in time, they can end up with a nice classic rod that will out gun and out corner some of the best past or present.

Although it's more of a recent craze, the Mustang Restomod is not a fad! Ford and the rest of the world are stuck on turning out modern restos. Just look at the 2005 concept, the T-Bird, the PT Cruiser etc.

The reason why people are so passionate about this debate is it gets right down to the core of why you own a Mustang. Some are re-living their past dream cars, some are making dream cars. Whatever you choose to do is what defines, and drives you.

"Try to open your minds to see inside peoples dreams, not crush them."

• Sponsors (?)

mdjay said:
The preservation of rare cars should be just understood!

I have noticed that phrasing, or something similar refering to "rare" cars through out this debate. The problem with that phrase is the word "rare". What defines a rare car? One with low production numbers? Where do you draw the numerical line to say it was low production? Or maybe simply how many are left, despite the production numbers. And rare DOES NOT equal desirable. There was a Yugo on Ebay the other day-a perfect specimin of a stock, non-molested car in factory fresh condition. But is it desirable? Not to most people. What about an LN-7? Anyone else even know what that is? (It's Mercury's version of the Ford EXP, made in the 80's-a two seat 4cyl front drive "sportscoupe".) I haven't seen one in years(in fact, I've only ever seen one in person!), but I'm guessing people wouldn't be lining up to buy one for over $1,000, despite it's rarity. I had a difficult time getting over $1,000 for my 69 Ford Falcon Futura Wagon (in 95% original condition)-and less than 8,000 were made total. I'm sure there's a sigifigantly lesser number still left in existance. But, it wasn't desirable to a large numebr of people. A Mustang, a Vette, a car of similar heritage, now even the I6 is desirable to a larger group. So, I have to say that it's a cop-out to say that restomodding is fine, as long it's not a "rare" car. Either it's fine to you, or not. Because if everyone with a 65 i6 throws a v8 under the hood, and chops the dash, and adds velour headliners (or whatever), then an unmodded, 100% stock 65 i6 IS now a RARE car! It's all perspective.

I'm just glad we don't have the "classic" arguement of old vs new at shows/cruises!!!

Bugs: Duck season !

Daffy: Rabbit season !

Correction.....Purists blood does NOT boil at the sight of a restomod. (At least not this purist.) I used to be a resto guy. Had a 67 Chebby pickup that had 60 series Mickey Thompsons on the back and was jacked up. Used it in 2WD truck pulls. Had a 64 Falcon that I painted rattle can Smurf blue. It doesn't get any more resto than that. I just prefer my present car to remaine stock. Heck, even rocks grow moss. :D Please don't lump me in with the crazys. :nice: