Out Of Nowhere, No Power, Sputters & Backfires. Same Thing At Idle Under No Load?

This MSD distibutor has been with the car for years, it just has corrosion in it now, So im looking for way to clean the corrosion, hopefully without pulling the distributor out

• Sponsors (?)

I would pull the MSD piece and replace it with a stocker. The MSD distributors are notorious for crapping out.

I agree with the MSD replacement. You should be able to find a good downer at your JY, that-is, if you don't want to spend too much $$$. Probably many members on this site will have stock distributors laying on their extra parts shelves.

TUNE_UPS amazing what a frequent tune-up reveals....

Running low on FUEL can bring on many running issues especially when trash is picked-up from the bottom of the tank, especially in these older Stangs. Another issues is that the fuel pump is kept cool by the actual liquid gas in the tank. When the fuel in the tank is below the pump level, the pump is no longer dissipating heat into the cooler fuel, thus running low on gas regularly can cause premature pump failure.

Tell this to your wife... lol

Poster, please let us know what actually fixes the problem. Thanks

So today I checked for power at the coil and so forth and I did have my 12 volts, I did have spark at the distributor end of the coil wire. I bought new wires and a spare coil wire to check if that spark was any different with new wires, it was NOT. What I did find is that I lost spark at #1 plug regardless of new or old wires. So then I look to the distributor, I pull the distributor cap, and EVERYTHING is corroded, the points, the rotor tip, and even the stator.

What is recommended to cleaning this corrosion? Preferably without having to pull the distributor. It is an MSD distributor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try cleaning the MSD piece up first.

Replace the cap, rotor and other stuff that may be in the MSD, I don't run one - they are pretty, but stock cars don't really benefit from one.

Pay attention to Jrichkers advice about the Control Module - Not a very expensive part to replace to have future peace of mind....

but I agree with the MSD replacement. You should be able to find a good downer at your JY, that-is, if you don't want to spend too much $$$. Probably many members on this site will have stock distributors laying on their extra parts shelves.

I was driving my 91 mustang for about an hour. even sat in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes. Everything was absolutely fine. Turned the last corner to go home, and the car seemed to sputter as if it was gonna run out of gas (As I knew the gas was close to being empty), so I immediately went to the gas station, left it running while putting gas in it. Drove fine to the gas station, idled fine at the gas station, when finished and went to pull away from the gas station, big sputter & backfire, and complete power loss. Regardless of rpm, load, in gear or in idle. I sputtered and backfired around the block to the house never getting over 3 mph, never get any rpm up, just bump along and not trying to stall. This was late at night.

Next morning got up, cranked the car up and same things.

Please advise, cause I have no idea where this even started!!!
I have the exact problem only it happened out of the blue when trying to start one day did you fix it?

88 stang GT conv went to start it and it sputtered hard would not start till cranked it awhile then had to pepper the gas to get it to idle backfires and stalls if I give it gas backfires,popping,cant handle load Cleaned Idle control valve no change thought gas gauge wrong so added 5gal gas thought I fixed it then tried to drive no way bucking, sputter, backfire. Glanced at vacuum lines no obvious problem. NEXT will now change gas filter inspect vacuum lines better and get code tester I have over the year done EVERYTHING to this car my self I am an ex auto and aircraft mech. now disabled and wear leg braces

Last edited: