Progress Thread Out With The New - In With The Old

Pic 1). Removed one of the three spacers to drop WOT up shifts by approx 500 rpm. Pic 2). VB assembled and clean. Pic 3). Poured fluid on and let it soak. Pic 4). Tourqued plate bolts to spec 90 in/lbs. Pic 5). VB and filter in and torqued to spec 90 in/lbs.

Before installing pan I verified manual linkage functioning properly. Also had the Mrs push gas pedal through range to verify TV valve travel is sufficient. Fine tuning on that later.

Next....dump fluid in and turn key.

Wow! So much is about to happen at one time. Very excited indeed!!!!!

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Exciting events unfolding and looking forward to actual test drive. I've done multiple things to this car to improve it and I have many more things to do yet. This start up is the first crank including the following changes. I had the dist in just right so it started right up. Couldn't have been easier considering all these changes I made at the same time.

1) AOD transmission rebuild with upgrade to 2" reverse drum and ditching 3000 stall converter for stock stall speed converter.

2) Reinstalling missing O2 sensors and drilled intake for proper location of new IAT sensor, undoing hack job harness tuck, removing tuner chip and reverting to stock ECU control.

3) Removing 24lb injectors and related MAF and installing stock 19lb injectors and 70mm 19lb MAF.

4) Removing X303 camshaft, pushrods, valve springs and related hardware to install stock HO cam, stock springs, pushrods and related hardware.

Here's the video. Sorry about the mediocre quality. YouTube wouldn't let me upload in HD.

View: https://youtu.be/JyImAJ8ffG0

Reactions: 1 users
First test drive went well. All forward gears functioning in automatic mode. Reverse functional. 30 minute test drive around town and the trans cooler lines are not excessively hot. Matter a fact they are significantly cooler than the engine coolant. (192 thermostat running right on target). Trans cooler is stand alone aux 12"x8" in size mounted in front of radiator.

Light throttle automatic upshifts are delayed more than my liking and automatic downshifting is later than it should be. I think my idle TV pressure is a smidge too high. I'll slack up on the tv adjustment and see if that helps. Can anyone verify that higher than usual tv line pressure will delay light throttle up shifts? It's tolerable but I'd like to narrow it a bit.

Here's a video. Sorry about the wind noise, top was down. I u-turned, gave it about 1/2 throttle and ran it up automatic through 1-2-3-OD. Then kicked down to 3 and back to OD.

View: https://youtu.be/rKF_fFMehis

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Adjusted the tv cable at the throttle body. Had it too tight before. Now it's flush with no slack at idle. Trans shift timing good now.

Overall success. Good crisp shifting and will even bark the 1-2 shift if you encourage it. I very happy with results.

Reactions: 2 users
How can I quiet the whistle down?
A different throttle body. Yes, seriously. And that won't even 100% cure it. You can lessen it though by deburring/chamfering the iac and shaft bearing holes and the pocket cast into the iac boss. The whistle is air moving past those openings (think musical bottles). No idea how they did it, but factory tb's don't seem to have that problem unless they just somehow tuned a harmonic.

Imma do a better demo vid for the AOD performance after this rebuild I promise. Need the right time to do some WOT flogs with vid. Done it once and shifted 1-2 at 5500 and 2-3 at 5000.

Meanwhile there’s so much other stuff going on. Still working on tunes. The back panels are missing the inner speaker mounts. They’re super rare as I’ve discovered so I’m hacking in on my own. I made mounting panels with 1/4” plywood and I’ve glued them to the side panels. Once they set up I’ll flip them over and show you the finished look.

72B22412-059D-49A9-85F0-CD3BB5DEAC89.jpeg
58DB21FA-C781-4EED-9913-05EAB4D70B5A.jpeg
2D4A238F-18BE-4049-8862-1737E082D99C.jpeg
830A049B-DA0D-4199-B2C7-A218A217AC9A.jpeg
9753C03D-C443-468E-A5AA-E19F44DA4F0B.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Since the factory inner speaker mounts are gone, there’s no retention for the front part of the grills. To remedy I drilled small holes through the grill frame and into the side panel tab and will fasten with trim screw. Here’s what things are looking like.

9D8656C4-5B68-4E33-B5D3-9C2E3A022F12.jpeg
A6F11AD9-4E42-40CF-8A7F-A76B0E33C2AD.jpeg
4C0136E7-41DD-43AB-A918-42DA3F304490.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user