Outnumbered By Idiots

My dislike of carbs goes hand in hand with emissions testing. When that started in VA, I had a "car collection" in my driveway. My 2 EFI cars passed, the other 4 failed. And so it went for the next 10 years. The EFI cars always passed, the carbed cars often failed. VA also has yearly safety inspection and most of my cars failed that yearly due to rust holes. Eventually I got tired of the BS and got rid of all my junk (and unfortunately my '86 GT) for a brand new '98 F150.

BTW, I absolutely hate dealing with lawnmowers/trimmers and newer gas formulations. A synthetic lawn sounds pretty good. I have a plastic house, why not make the lawn plastic also ... hmmm (drinking out of my EFI cofee cup, with pinky extended of course).

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

My dislike of carbs goes hand in hand with emissions testing. When that started in VA, I had a "car collection" in my driveway. My 2 EFI cars passed, the other 4 failed. And so it went for the next 10 years. The EFI cars always passed, the carbed cars often failed. VA also has yearly safety inspection and most of my cars failed that yearly due to rust holes. Eventually I got tired of the BS and got rid of all my junk (and unfortunately my '86 GT) for a brand new '98 F150.

BTW, I absolutely hate dealing with lawnmowers/trimmers and newer gas formulations. A synthetic lawn sounds pretty good. I have a plastic house, why not make the lawn plastic also ... hmmm.

In the great state of Texas, anything old enough to have come carbed is exempt from testing.
image.png

In the great state of Texas, anything old enough to have come carbed is exempt from testing.
image.png
In the ....state of Indiana, we don't Care! Throw a carb on a 2016 GT350 and a hood stack, as long as the vin matches, WE DONT CARE!!!!

It's almost concerning. But I've never had to deal with emissions and I'm thankful for that at least

Reactions: 2 users
Since Tanner is the "shot caller", this.......

Carb does make more HP! Carb FTW!! You EFI guys must hate your lawn mowers. Maybe the hoity-toity EFI guys don't have real grass lawns, maybe they park their EFI cars on their synthetic grass lawns and brag about the water they save :D
To be fair, my lawn mower doesn't start worth a damn without the choke and it's tricky in the winter. Damn carbs

In the ....state of Indiana, we don't Care! Throw a carb on a 2016 GT350 and a hood stack, as long as the vin matches, WE DONT CARE!!!!

It's almost concerning. But I've never had to deal with emissions and I'm thankful for that at least

That does it. I'm moving to Indiana!

These carb vs EFI wars that folks are making reference to... did they post a graph of the entire dyno run or just peak numbers? I'd be interested in what average power looked like... along with mid-range, and comparing power under the curve (my version of it anyways, based on rpm drop after the shift... aka shift recovery and under the curve during a run down the 1/4). Reason being, there is a big difference in building a motor to work from 7500-9000rpm vs a motor to work from 750rpm to 8000rpm.
I "think" current EFI technology is way advanced in the everyday world... it's hard to argue that EFI allowed the development of variable valve-train configurations, cylinder deactivation... allowing kitty-cat gas sipping cruising manners and high strung ferocity in the same powerplant. Then look at the racing application... individual cylinder tuning... and the ability to tune the car from the pits while the car runs on track...

I have lived with both systems. I like both systems. My winter beaters back in the day (Canada) were all carb vehicles... so, want to talk about cold starts?
'78 Pontiac Wagon 350 4bbl, '77 F150 302 2bbl, '89 Wagoneer 360 4bbl, '69 F250 390 2bbl. ... all of them trouble free once tuned... all of them trouble free if you knew how to start them and warm them up.
Nothing quite like the sound of a 4bbl engulfing the atmosphere...
While I believe current EFI is the cats meow for those knowledgeable on making it work to it's full potential... during the build of my car I had a really hard time deciding between carb or EFI. In the end I went EFI, and am happy with the results, but, boy a 4bbl and single plane would have been super cool too.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, BTW, I cannot "tune" either system, so that never factored in... and I was sticking with the factory EFI, so the super cool aftermarket stuff was never in the picture...
I mean, sure I've jacked with bleed screws and idle adjustments, swapped injectors, set points, timing, indexed plugs... but actually disassembling a carb to max. jets/valves/floats and all that... or dive into the laptop... nope.

Reactions: 1 user
image.png

These days, my '93 with EFI is old enough to be exempt from emissions. Although, MD is about to hose me with some rule changes. I might have to temporarily put emissions equipment back on my car, trying to figure out what I need to do. It will not be emissions tested, but might have to pass a MD inspection that requires the emissions equipment to be installed. Not sure if I'm exempt from that since I live in a no-emissions test county.

In general id agree. I'm in some excellent car groups on Facebook though. It's the only reason I haven't given it up entirely.
There are a ton of knowledgable people who are easily accessible to pick their brains on any subject under the sun. Unfortunately it's what's killing car forums. Which given the choice I'd always prefer the community type feel of a page like Stangnet

I keep hearing this but fail to see it. The other "Mustang forums" at least, were all bought out by companies that don't give a ****. They run old software, non-dynamic interfaces, and are moderated either by someone with half an interest or some corporate glass jaw.

Everyone says, "OMGFTWLOL!!!!!...dotdotdotBBQ, the forums are dyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. That's not really the truth. On any given month (even the slow ones) we average between 5500 and 8000 posts by unique users (meaning posts are only counted one time if they create multiple posts in a month).

If anything at all is being killed, it is people who are not used to being held accountable for what they say (an unfortunate side effect of being a community). They're the ones that come in spouting BS and expect everyone to bow before their brilliance. What happens is: You guys either run them off because they are folks that should be asking questions instead of making statements or... They mysteriously disappear for mostly the same reasons.

It's when these facebookers get tired of being told that a cat-back is worth 150 gigapower or that carburetors are the end-all in performance, that they eventually end up here.

To me: FB is a sift, not the competitor. FB is also where they end up after having the door slammed in their faces for being a dumbass.

Honestly, I don't have the energy to try and educate these types about the simplest of things.

How many FBers do you think there are that still think 93 octane fuel burns better/hotter than 89 octane? It's exhausting.

This forum is unique compared to the others I frequent. As are the few pages I frequent on Facebook. Everywhere else is frothing with morons who run around unchecked making false claims and incorrect statements.
That's why I stay here. I just now have a fox again but this is always "home Base" for me.

This forum is unique compared to the others I frequent. As are the few pages I frequent on Facebook. Everywhere else is frothing with morons who run around unchecked making false claims and incorrect statements.
That's why I stay here. I just now have a fox again but this is always "home Base" for me.

We do keep one or two of those on-site. Just as reminders.... of what's out there. :hide:

Edit:

Were you around when you could drive a fairly new carbureted car?

You do know that Mike is... OLD; right? :hide:

Well with a carb all you need is:
A screw driver to screw the needles in and out to un-gum the needles/jets, and to rap it to make the float "self correct" and a spare set of points cause those f'ers burned up again or some sand paper to hopefully clean them.
Ran factory duals on my Volvo 122s Amazon, my 70 maverick a 4 bbk on my Lincoln and a big azz Weber on my Rabbit ......

EFI well it's Voodoo Majic but....

Just like horse and buggy. It's all about copper and magnets going forward.....

Last edited: