over drive on manual trans?

• Sponsors (?)

if your talking about something where you don't slow down when you let off the gas, then HELL NO, unless you press the clutch in. with a standard your transmission and engine are DIRECTLY connected. automatics can spin freely thus allowing coasting. 5th is the over drive gear.

like on an automatic, in 4-5 gear, if you mash on the gas it will rev and hit another, higher gear, to get you up to speed faster.

so by saying that fifth is overdrive, if i was in, say...third. and was looking to takeoff from maybe 30 in the fastest way possible, would i shift into fifth?

andrw said:
like on an automatic, in 4-5 gear, if you mash on the gas it will rev and hit another, higher gear, to get you up to speed faster.

so by saying that fifth is overdrive, if i was in, say...third. and was looking to takeoff from maybe 30 in the fastest way possible, would i shift into fifth?
When you stomp on the accelerator in an automatic the transmission downshifts into a LOWER gear. So if you are in OD(4 gear) in an auto and you stomp on the gas, depending on what speed you are going,the transmission downshifts into 2 or 3 gear. If you want to acomplish the same thing in a manual transmission car you would down shift from the higher gear into a lower gear , once again depending on speed , to accelerate faster. If you were to shift from 3rd to 5th at 30 mph and hit the gas the car would just bog and probably buck a little.
Now to give you an understanding on how a tranmission works the best example is a ten speed bicycle. Your legs are the engine, The front sprocket is the transmission and the rear sprocket is the rearend. If you need to get up to speed quick you put the chain on the smallest sprocket(lower gear) first. Then as you are riding you change to the larger sprockets(higher gears) to get more speed. While you are riding if you need to get up a hill or accelerate you would downshift into a lower gear or smaller sprocket which allows to to spin your legs faster to help apply more torque. Now to complicate things if you take a rider you has greater leg strength( more torque) he could use a higher gear to accomplish the same thing with less rpm as a weaker rider in a lower gear. This is why a V8 car can use a higher gear ratio transmission then a 4 cyl.
Originally I was going to just put this guy up :lol: but I realized you really needed help in this area.

andrw said:

oh hell no. the reason its called overdrive is because the transmission is driven OVER what the engine is spinning at. the engine spins slower than transmission. any every other gear the engine is spinning faster than the transmission. to ACCELERATE faster you downshift so that the engine can operate in its powerband. to actually achieve a faster speed you eventually have to upshift to the next gear, because you run out of rpms and power on the engine side.

andrw said:
l

Going from 30, I'd probably stay in 3rd, bad speed to start from really. It's not optimum, but that's a lot of speed for my 2nd gear, I don't like to red line the thing.

Despite what mainstream American likes to think, Overdrive is not fast at all.

It's probably the weakest gear in terms of making any power. It's just a fuel economy gear.

I always get a chuckle when i hear those songs saying "Baby, throw it in Overdrive!"

then i think there may be something wrong with my stang. when i floor it, itll do that little click like it was going into overdrive (on an auto). im wondering if perhaps my bald tires are slipping? is that possible?

svoman2300 said:
When you stomp on the accelerator in an automatic the transmission downshifts into a LOWER gear. So if you are in OD(4 gear) in an auto and you stomp on the gas, depending on what speed you are going,the transmission downshifts into 2 or 3 gear. If you want to acomplish the same thing in a manual transmission car you would down shift from the higher gear into a lower gear , once again depending on speed , to accelerate faster. If you were to shift from 3rd to 5th at 30 mph and hit the gas the car would just bog and probably buck a little.
Now to give you an understanding on how a tranmission works the best example is a ten speed bicycle. Your legs are the engine, The front sprocket is the transmission and the rear sprocket is the rearend. If you need to get up to speed quick you put the chain on the smallest sprocket(lower gear) first. Then as you are riding you change to the larger sprockets(higher gears) to get more speed. While you are riding if you need to get up a hill or accelerate you would downshift into a lower gear or smaller sprocket which allows to to spin your legs faster to help apply more torque. Now to complicate things if you take a rider you has greater leg strength( more torque) he could use a higher gear to accomplish the same thing with less rpm as a weaker rider in a lower gear. This is why a V8 car can use a higher gear ratio transmission then a 4 cyl.
Originally I was going to just put this guy up :lol: but I realized you really needed help in this area.

O that is how a 10 speed works :D

andrw said:
then i think there may be something wrong with my stang. when i floor it, itll do that little click like it was going into overdrive (on an auto). im wondering if perhaps my bald tires are slipping? is that possible?

Just want to clarify some things. How fast are you going, and what gear are you in when this occurs?

andrw said:
usually third, but it happened to me in fifth today. usually either 40-45 or 65-70

Wow, if you floor it in 5th only going 65 and ANYTHING happens for a couple seconds I'm impressed! Somehow I don't think the tires are slipping though. The click is definately coming from the gas pedal?

side question: am i missing something? what RPM do you allow it to get to before shifting (average)?

and i dont think its the tires either, but i cant figure out what it is. its strange. its kind of like for a split second i had the clutch down. i just got a new clutch so i dont think thats it.