over rev caused small puffs of smoke!!!

jaidedeye

Apr 4, 2004
Goldsboro nc
ok heres what happened.....me and my buddy were driving home from work and i dropped my car into low and tires broke loose and i shifted up to second and third and hit 120 ish.......let off went around a nice rounding corner at about 75....i THOUGHT i was in OD for some reason and when i downshifted i went to second and nailed it...well to my surprise my car revved to 7k.....ouch...it was only there for a few seconds....well i let off and cruised to the intersection.....my buddy behind me in his car said that i had some blueish white smoke puff out for a few seconds out of one pipe....then it stopped...is this normal when you ove rev your car???? i got to my house and checked it and it wasnt doing it anymore......shouldi be concerned? the engine doesnt knock or use coolant or oil.....and its all forged with a sportsman block and only has 15k miles on it

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Dude ! 7 Grand? I havent had a motor that revved up since I drove an RX-7.
I would guess it would be okay as long as you didn't make contact between piston and valve.
Nice looking car by the way.

FYI for everyone. Rev limiters do not work during downshifts. During a downshift, the wheels are driving the speed of the engine. The computer can pull all the fuel it wants,the speed of the vehicle and the gear downshifted to will determine the engine rpm.

So, everyone be careful on those downshifts. :nice: