Drivetrain Overdrive for my AOD only works sometimes

ok so this is my first thread but im just gonna jump in. about a month ago my overdrive in my 91 5.0 Fox started acting up. i've had it for about a year and it's always had some trouble but it barely works anymore. it's weird because it's like i have to baby it around 2000 rpms for several miles in 3rd and depending on the day it might go into overdrive after a while. before it pretty much stopped, i would have to drive it for a little bit without it and every time in the same place it would go in and then it would work for the rest of the trip. and before the real trouble started, if i was going down the highway at 60 and got on it it would downshift and if i stayed at the same speed it wouldn't go back into overdrive unless i eased up on it for a second. the other day it worked 4 times in a row after slowing down but had trouble later. so it's not completely dead but it's like it doesn't know how to shift into overdrive unless i make it easy for it. any ideas? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles are on the car? Has the transmission every been rebuilt? If so how many miles ago? Does everything appear to be hooked up as best you can tell? Did you check to make sure you have the proper amount of fluid in the transmission? Are you very capable at working on cars or is this your first rodeo?

I ask the last question because, in my opinion, transmission issues can get complicated quick and go well beyond the average weekend warriors ability. If you fall into that category, of which I am in as well, I would drop it off at a shop and let them at least check it out.

I'm not sure it matters anymore since I spun it into a bank the other day. the front end is crooked now but as far as scratches and dents there's not much of that. waiting to see what the insurance says. if I get it fixed I'll get back to yah. thanks

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user