Overfilled my tank a week ago and still smell raw gas from the car

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, and I only notice the smell when I've been driving the car.

It sat all day today and I went out there and sniffed around it, particularly near the gas cap area but didn't smell anything.

I may also just start the car and let it idle for a good while and see if I smell anything from it running but sitting still rather than bouncing around on the road.

Anyone have any input here?

- Internal spill taking a while to dry?
- I ruptured a weld in the system?
- Overloaded charcoal evap filter?

Could the silver seats and dirt bike trailer hitch be contributing?

I didn't realize I needed to keep you all informed on such updates, but I got the seats you guys told me to, and they look great.

No dual-sport bike or trailer yet though.

Just look at that hideous white seat in the background!

Anyway, some useful advice on the gas smell would be much apperciated.

l6ZSM.jpg

is it more concentrated in the trunk? is it leaking from underneath after sitting a while? I sincerely doubt you broke anything. You could spray a hose from underneath the car to wash around the tank/fill neck to help dissipate the residual gas. Or stick a sock full of coffee (or box of baking soda) in the cab/trunk.

Then you have yourself a mobile (possibly) explosive starbucks on wheels haha

The rubber gasket where the filler neck goes into the tank has probably rotted out and is leaking. I'm about to replace one on my wifes 94 GT. The part is available at ford parts and online. List price is $39 from Ford. There is a very good write up on this forum on how to replace the gasket.

The check engine light came on this morning on my way to work so I stopped at a repair shop. The mechanic said it's throwing vapor codes and that his first guess is the gas cap. I also think I hear an exhaust leak from the passenger side area of the engine. The motor was recently rebuilt so I would not be surprised if some bolts came loose possibly on the header but I have no idea if that is related to vapor codes.

Ok, the mechanic says the rubber filler neck gasket that slygray1 mentioned is torn and leaking gas vapors and the exhaust gasket between the passenger side header and the cat pipe is leaking as well. He also plans to replace the gas cap for good measure.