Overheating problem help

lxhatch91

Jul 28, 2018
quebec
Hi guy , i have a problem with my fox.
When i go for a ride the temperature go up easy like 210 in 10 min and stay a 210 even on normal ride. The outside temp is 15 degree here , i check every things , fan is ok( electric fan) , coolant is full , rad is good , thermostat is new , sensor is good ,water pump is good, every thing about the coolant system is ok . I suspect a blowhead gasket but noting go out of my exhaust . I dont no wath next to check. (my fox is almost stock headers -msd fire- 3.73 gears )

• Sponsors (?)

Yes i just change it , i put 160. Because i belive 180 is too hot . I check all my coolant composant part every thing is ok . I dont know why is overheating . When i go for a normal ride the temperature go up and overheat . Oil level is good too

210 is not overheating, it is hot but not overheating.
The stock stat is 195, I use a 180 and it still runs 200 in traffic sometimes a little more depending on air temp. After doing research I have found they are designed to run 195-210.
I also test all thermostats before install,

Last edited:
If it feels like your 'losing power' at 200* then you need to investigate that not attempt to make it run cooler, have you checked for codes? There could be codes and no check engine light, if your year has one, some made before 89 didn't have a cel.
took me a second to figure out why you where posting 30*, your across the border so you read Celsius, that is like 86* down here.

How is your timing? If it is too far one way or the other it could cause overheating issues and seem to drive fine, maybe even be fine while cruising but overheat in traffic.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
In the good ole days when we were all experimenting I also ran a 160* thermostat. Not a good idea. I run a 180 or 195 now. 160 in my opinion doesn't let the car run correctly in daily driving. If it won't stay cool with a 180 then slapping in a 160 may seem like the thing to do but it's not. There's some other problem I assure you. Your car will run a lifetime at 200* and if you think you feel a power loss then something else is going on. I live in Alabama. Heat index is already 100* here. That's all I've got.

How do you know it is actually overheating? Get one of those laser temp gauges and check the upper tank of the radiator.

On my '90 when the headlights are on, the temp gauge goes up because there is some sort of voltage leak to the gauge. Meanwhile, the actual radiator temp is fine. So don't get fooled by the gauge.

Fuel injected cars run most efficiently at 195-205. running colder can actually have harmful effects on the engine. You shouldn't lose any power with coolant at 200f. Might be sensor related once your engine enters closed loop

How are you verifying your true coolant temp? Factory guage is highly inaccurate

Does it run warmer on the highway, or when idling?

I feel i lost power at 200 and here now is 15 degrre. So imagine at the summer at 30 degree is gonna be too hot for sure

30 degrees? Celcuis? Canadian?

I had the same problem. System appeares to be good, changed thermostat, pump was good, refilled system with fresh coolant, finally decided to swap out the radiator and purged the system, now that needle never passes the half way mark.

Agreed with possible clogged radiator. Had similar issues.
Look for a black substance in the overflow tank. If it is there you likely have hairline fractures in the head or a bad head gasket. This crud will clog up even a new radiator fast.
Does your fan come on? I believe above 200 it should be but not sure. The relays they use to turn the fans on are known to be troublesome.
Does radiator itself feel hot when engine is 200 degrees? If not, you may have a thermostat problem as suggested above or a clogged radiator.

A 160 doesn't leave the coolant in the radiator long enough, especially if it's a stock sized radiator.
What kind of electric fan do you have? How does it come on? Do you have an upgraded alternator?
How do you know the actual temperature? You said sending unit, which leads me to believe you are going by the stock gauge. Put a mechanical full sweep gauge in and you will know the real temp.
While 210 is warmer than I would like, it's far from overheating.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user