Overheating problem..Weird..help

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Hey guys i just got my car back from the shop i had alittle problem with my dss block. im not talking bout that now tho...but anyway..everything needs to be broken in again, and as i was driving home , in about 85* weather here...she would rise to about 205 and stay there steady, sometimes drop to 200...but as soon as i went up a mountain..it rose to 210 in no time, then, as soon as i went down the mountain, it dropped to like 190-195...how does that make sense? could someone explain to me, also it was bubbling out over the overflow tank. When i got home the tank was almost filled to the top, and if i let her idle the temp rises to 210 or alittle more if idleing longer....
what the hell?
maybe it need to be burped?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine kind of does that too, although my fanclutch has 175k on it and no fluid inside. Considering the fairly mild engine and huge radiator it shouldnt have cooling problems. If you have a low speed/low rpm cooling problem, 95% chance its fan related.

You're not basing your temp measurements on the stock gage, are you? If its bubbling into the overflow, that means its either boiling or your rad cap is history.

how hot is it where you live (ambient temps)? how high is the altitude on 'the mountain?'
what temp thermostat is in it?

your temps are not unreasonable at all, IMHO. knowing more info would help.

dont underestimate the need for a burp. id get the drivers side front end as high as possible (vs the rest of the car), remove the cap and let it idle for 20-30 mins.

good luck.

I went through all these recommendations as well. I replaced the fan clutch, no luck. Then I let it run with the cap off for about 30 minutes and the coolant level dropped about 2 inches which led me to believe that there was an air pocket in the system. Put the cap on and run it. Car run fine longer but still overheated. I pulled the radiator out and had it flow tested. Found that from sitting for a lengthy period of time it started to corrode which led to plugging. I replaced the radiator and now it runs around 185-190 under extreme load with no boilover.

ok well listen to this...when i was driving tonigiht..and it was about 50* out. My car was sitting shut off for about 15 mins. i started it up, drove off...and my gauge shot up from 180* straight to the end of my autometer gauge...like 250*!! it just shot up...now there was no way the engine was that hot...it didnt even feel it when i opened the hood. Then it would slowly climb down and jump around again. Is my gauge or sender messed up? Or could my thermo be stuck? When i feel the upper rad hose, its very hard. u cant squeeze it?