Overheating problem

john95 5.0

May 23, 2010
topeka
Hey guys I'm hoping that you guys can help me out with this.

My car has been in a garage for quite sometime and I finally was able to get it out and take her for a spin. While i was driving the temp gauge slowly started creeping up on my car, past the normal point that its usually at an up to the hot side, so I shut her down.

So my question is where to start in searching on how to fix this problem? I realize that this can be a variety of different things like thermostats and coolant temperature gauges and the such but can i test the thermostat instead of going out and buying a new one? Any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks ahead of time guys

• Sponsors (?)

You can test the T-stat but you have to remove it from the car. Place it in a pot of water with a thermometer and heat the water and note when the T-stat opens. That should match the T-stat rating. If it doesn't open by the time the water gets to it's rating it's done and needs to be replaced.

Alright I turned on the A/C and the fan did not come on. So I Guess its the plug that is my problem? What exactly is the name of the part i have to replace? I do remember the fan working awhile ago so this must be part of the problem.

i just had to replace my original radiator because mine would run very warm in traffic under 30mph or excessive red lights, it stays cool now. its takes a while for the fan to kick on i let mine idle in the driveway with the ac wide open to get it good and hot to check mine