Overheating Problems

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Well my 93 notch is still overheating. It has a new radiator, new 180 degree thermostat, full of antifreeze w/ water wetter. Stock fan is back on the car.

Drive for a few miles, come back and sit in driveway, or drive thru, or anywhere idling and it starts overheating. Ran about 211-215 :mad: yesterday idling after a 15 minute run. I had the a/c on. I turned the a/c off and it dropped just below 210 which IMO is still too hot for this car. It stayed there afterward.

As some of you may remember I had a Taurus fan on it which worked decently but not perfect- car was running 205 and with that fan should have ran 180-190, but the fan had constant issues. So I switched to a flex fan and it started overheating again, so I switched back to the stock fan and it still overheats (210+).

The only thing that has been suggested so far is to change the water pump. Anything I might be missing? The car has an underdrive pulley on the crank.

Thanks,

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

I know you said that you have a new radiator but did you also put a new radiator cap on? I had all sorts of issues with overheating and boiling over that ended up leading back to a worn out radiator cap. Replaced it and no more probs.

I vote for a new water pump. I have had 3 foxes...92K, 145K, and 135K. When I got them, I put on new water pump, 180*, new hoses, had the radiator flushed, and new antifreeze...(green stuff) Stock fan blade and clutch. I have never had a problem with overheating while on the street, track freeway, long trips...etc. I bought a replacement at Murrays/Autozone...1yr warrenty 26.99!!! They come with the gasket and they look great in silver.

I vote for a new water pump. I have had 3 foxes...92K, 145K, and 135K. When I got them, I put on new water pump, 180*, new hoses, had the radiator flushed, and new antifreeze...(green stuff) Stock fan blade and clutch. I have never had a problem with overheating while on the street, track freeway, long trips...etc. I bought a replacement at Murrays/Autozone...1yr warrenty 26.99!!! They come with the gasket and they look great in silver.

Good advise right there:nice:

the water journals in the engine could be corodded (sp) and closed up. this is kinda far out but i have known it to happen with people who drive there stangs occasionally. what happened to my buddies car was he would drive it one day let water circulate good then park it for a few weeks. and after doing that so much his journals sordoff rusted up restricting flow. but deff check the pump first.

I'm so doing that this weekend come heck or high water... If that doesn't fix it she's going back where she came from and I'm buying a WRX.

the water journals in the engine could be corodded (sp) and closed up. this is kinda far out but i have known it to happen with people who drive there stangs occasionally. what happened to my buddies car was he would drive it one day let water circulate good then park it for a few weeks. and after doing that so much his journals sordoff rusted up restricting flow. but deff check the pump first.

Hmmmmm that's what I do :eek:

This is what I was getting at. All 3 of my cars did have some corrosion, that I cleaned up quickly with a wire wheel and lacquer thinner.

So do I just need to take the intake off and check those jackets?

There are jackets in the intake, but before you go making hours of work for yourself, I would just pull the water pump, clean the front of the timing cover behind it..(I have always found nasty corrosion on the surface of the cover and in the two jackets where water enters and exits) Button that up and see how the car runs. If overheating continues then go ahead and pull the intake and clean the jackets. (however....two of the three cars I mentioned....I did the cooling stuff....then drove them to find an oil leak. I pulled the intakes, replaced the gaskets, and found no corrosion in there....but every car is different.

Don't they make engine coolant flush for corrosion, etc (I think lube shops offer this as a service)??? I know this is redundant, but are you sure you got every air bubble out with the thermostat and radiator changes. I almost sold my car over this type of issue. I used one of those lever vent caps (stant HD) and burped it on a few (3 or 4) occaisions and no more overheating. It don't take much air in the system to make it overheat. Take out the coolant temperature sender and make sure you have coolant there. Also is the spring in your lower rad. hose??

Well, if the problem persists....take is to a radiator shop. A local shop flushed out two of my Honda CR250 radiators on my dirtbike. They were clogged, they were 200 bucks EACH new. He flushed them with this acid and then flushed them again with coolant/water for 40 bucks. They were like brand new. He told me I should have seen the CRAP that came out. My bike has no more overheating problems. He also informed me that he can do that to any car radiator, or motor block.

Don't they make engine coolant flush for corrosion, etc (I think lube shops offer this as a service)??? I know this is redundant, but are you sure you got every air bubble out with the thermostat and radiator changes. I almost sold my car over this type of issue. I used one of those lever vent caps (stant HD) and burped it on a few (3 or 4) occaisions and no more overheating. It don't take much air in the system to make it overheat. Take out the coolant temperature sender and make sure you have coolant there. Also is the spring in your lower rad. hose??

I'll buy a vent cap this weekend, I tried to burp it but it may not have gotten all out- worth a shot :nice:

Spring? I haven't seen one :scratch:

If it runs cool enough on the highway or at speed, it still sounds like a fan issue to me.

You maybe right... It acted fine with the e-fan on but the e-fan kept trying to catch fire :(

Maybe it needs a new fan clutch?

make sure you dont have the t-stat in backwards, I f'ed up a while ago and put a 180 in backwards and it ran 215 all day long!!!

I put it back in the way it came out- I may have to open it back up and check. Which way does the pointy end go?

Well, if the problem persists....take is to a radiator shop. A local shop flushed out two of my Honda CR250 radiators on my dirtbike. They were clogged, they were 200 bucks EACH new. He flushed them with this acid and then flushed them again with coolant/water for 40 bucks. They were like brand new. He told me I should have seen the CRAP that came out. My bike has no more overheating problems. He also informed me that he can do that to any car radiator, or motor block.

I might have to try that if all else fails.