Engine P0340 Error 2006 Gt

Becky MacLean

Oct 12, 2017
Hello! I have a 2006 GT and got a P0340 error. Changed the cam sensor and alternator. Still has issues and check engine light. Mechanic spent about 5 hours going through the wiring...no issues. Checked the oscillator in the alternator, it's fine. Any thoughts? They are stumped.

• Sponsors (?)

For a P0340 code on most cars, your list of likely culprits is:

1. Cam Position Sensor
2. Wiring.
3. PCM

On certain Fords, including yours, you can add the alternator to that list.

I'm not sure how it took your mechanic 5 hours to go through the wiring for the camshaft position sensor circut, there's not but 2 wires in the circuit for each sensor and a total of two sensors.

Get a second opinion from another technician.

Thanks for your reply. The 5 hours included checking the new alternator wiring, test driving to check the idle ( dips rpms when idling) replacing the cam shaft sensor again just to confirm the new one they installed wasn't bad and a few other things they tried. They didn't just check the cam sensor wiring. That being said, I will look into your suggestions!

A new one from whom? If it is a Duralast, well it is probably bad right out of the box. Stay away from AutoZone "Duralast" parts. A new Ford replacement would be the way to go.