P0340 Trouble Code

• Sponsors (?)

That is a camshaft position sensor fault. The cause is either a bad cam sensor, or something is causing the sensor to goof up .. perhaps bad wiring, bad computer or even bad alternator. Yes, alternator. as weird as that may sound, if one or more of the alternators diodes messes up and the alternator starts running out too much AC (Alternating Current), it can interfere with the cam sensor, as the cam sensor generates a waveform similar to an AC current back to the PCM (Computer) . Normally the alternator generates DC (Direct Current) with the use of high amperage rectifier diodes. I know this may be difficult to understand . But i'm just trying to give you an idea on what could be the cause of the trouble code. Is your engine running alright? No misfires .. backfires... stumbling hesitating?

I should have followed up on this already, but I replaced the cam position synchronizer because the bearing was going bad and making a squealing noise. The replacement synchro came with a sensor. Cleared the code and been driving it for two days. Running good, no more codes,.....so far.:nice: