Engine P0345, P0300, P0305 low oil pressure/ stalling

Jmack82

Apr 8, 2021
SC
I have a 08 mustang s281 with roughly 84k miles. I set up an appointment to install headers, x-pipe, chip and tune. The day before I started my car and after about 3 mins of driving the car started driving rough and engine light flashing. I checked and it was a P0345. The shop did my install as well as replacing the timing chain, oil pump and spark plugs. I got my car back and it drove great for about 25-30 mins, afterwards my low oil pressure warning came on and the car started riding rough. I sent it back to the shop with engine codes reading P0345-camshaft positioning sensor bank A, P0300- Multiple engine misfire. They think i have a spun bearin. If you all have any other insight please let me know. I've already spent 5k

• Sponsors (?)

Why does the shop think you have a spun bearing? Does the engine make a knocking sound or is it just the low oil pressure?
It's more likely that you have a bad passenger side cam phaser, or the phaser bolt has come loose because the shop didn't use new ones when they did the timing chains. Keep in mind those bolts are TTY and one time use only.

The car sounds like it's misfiring to me, and They said they replaced those as well and yes they are stumped because of the oil pressure issue so he thinks it's the bearing. I'm going to inquire about the passenger side cam phaser. I know replaced one for sure. He showed me the old one and I'm assuming that was driver side.

According to the shop they replaced both. Here is more info on my issues... the car drove beautifully for about 30mins. It started losing power. When I gave it gas it hesitated like the throttle wouldn't open and stalling

Thank you! Definitely didn't hear any loud knocking. I'll get them to check that and see what happens.
If you weren't hearing a loud, and I mean LOUD knock, it wasn't a spun bearing. What's more likely is that they screwed up the timing chain install by not torquing the phasers correctly or re-using the bolts, or used sub-standard parts (there are known issues with aftermarket cam phasers failing almost immediately). Oil pressure is what actuates the phasers, so them coming loose or failing could cause low oil pressure, multiple misfires, and a camshaft position sensor fault.

Dorman phasers have a high failure rate so if the shop used those instead of the Ford Performance units, the passenger side phaser has probably already started to fall apart.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, it's hard to say so simply in your words. The simplest thing that can be, as far as I know after working in a motor trader, is not the right oil. Another reason may be in the oil pressure sensor. Could be poor quality oil. Maybe time for oil pump and new bearings. If sensors don't fix, engines don't like water in oil.

Hello, it's hard to say so simply in your words. The simplest thing that can be, as far as I know after working in a motor trader, is not the right oil. Another reason may be in the oil pressure sensor. Could be poor quality oil. Maybe time for oil pump and new bearings. If sensors don't fix, engines don't like water in oil.
Hey, they installed new oil pump, timing chain and other components. The shop installed new cam phasers. Now they want to drop the engine and check the bearings. I went to the shop and checked my codes and it was P0300, P0305 and P0345.

Update....I changed the camshaft position sensors, changed the oil. The car still rises great until it warms up then acts like its misfiring however I can't get an engine light and no more low oil pressure warning no matter how long I let it run. Spoke to the owner of the shop that did all the work and he wants to drop the engine to inspect everything. He doesn't think I have a spun bearing but the bearing could have just enough space allowing the oil pressure to drop. The labor will be free and I'll only have to pay for parts that need to be replaced. I just want to enjoy my car