P71 Interceptor

cruisinV6

Mar 16, 2003
SE Minnesota
Just wondering what the P71 Police Interceptor package adds as far as performance. I am sort of considering selling my car for a used P71 Crown Vic. Being a college kid, I miss not having four doors to haul some friends around. Dont get me wrong, I love my stang and would find it really hard to actualy go through with all this. But its a way to get my V8 power I want so much.

• Sponsors (?)

I think the only difference is dual exhaust, maybe some suspension stuff. But both of these are options on non-fleet Crown Vics and Grand Marquis.

My dad has an '01 Grand Marquis and it's an awesome car. Rides nice, still somewhat quick(obviously a dog from a complete stop though), gas mileage is the same as our cars, and obviously the room.

If you can afford it, I'd say look for a used Crown Vic sport. Basically a P71 with leather, a console shifter, 5 spokes, color coded grille, and has an available sunroof.

Used Police cars are still very reliable cars because of the nature of police work and their regular maintenance. But P71's are usually void of several comfort options. Sometimes they even have fiberglass back seats.

The P71 package has a lot of the same stuff that is offered in the Taxi package. Not much in the way of performance gear, just additional cooling capacity for extended idling, extra wiring for lights, calibrated speedo, PS cooler, stripper interior, etc.

I would agree about getting the non-P71 with leather and console. I've seen some of those that have been rodded with stuff that bolts right onto the 4.6L. I've seen some that are almost like a Mercury Marauder for 1/3 the price, and one even had a Triton V-10 under the hood!

Hot Rod magazine did a spread on the V-10 Crown Vic several years ago. It looked like getting that engine in there was no fun! Working on it wouldn't be fun, either.

You could get the same power from a stock 4.6L 'Vic on about 8psi of boost. That would be a cool car!

Here's an example of the LX Sport I was talking about:
Only one on ebaymotors right now

Usually they don't have the chrome wheel well dressings. But I have seen one's with vinyl tops too. :nonono:
There's a new one at one of the Ford dealerships back home. It's all black with a sunroof. :drool: And the '05's now have antennas mounted on the rear quarter, so it looks even more like a copcar. But the previous rear window antennas do look cleaner.

Thanks for the info guys. I learned alot. Would be a lot fun to supercharge one of those, a sport package with leather and a sunroof. Would be a real sleeper. Do they make aftermarket gears for those cars? I dont know much about them.

that would be fat dude... you could eaither make it a cop car with tinted windows paint it white and get the ugly spot light on the mirror.... or you could paint it black with tint and larger rims and grill. lower it maybe. that classy dude!!!

I've heard A LOT of stories from people with retired P71 and 9C1 Caprices about cops being dicks and always pulling them over. I've never really understood it. I've done ride alongs and talked to a lot of cops, and they prefer the Crown Vic to any other cruiser, so why is it so hard to believe that other people can like them too?
Granted, John Wayne Gacey and several others have used Police-style cars to victimize people. But not everyone is a freaking serial killer or rapist, geez. Funny, if they don't want people driving their cars, they shouldn't sell them. As a criminal justice major, I have a lot of respect for cops. But some can be real dumbasses sometimes.

Can't forget the fact that we don't have cassette or CD players in the damned things or cruise control. And the plastic floorboards instead of carpet is another joke.

Yeah the cars are maintained well, but have you ever really thought about what they've gone through? If the car is in a wreck, carfax won't show it because it's not turned into the state by VIN numbers, because in Ohio, the plates are tied to the VIN. When there is no plate, no match.

Also, on the divided highways, the medians are crossed a LOT. And it's fun, but to go sloshing through a grassy median at 40 mph minimum, and then turn into the other lane and get to 130 mph as soon as possible and then back to 0 is kinda hard on the car.

The guys who put our radios in are complete idiots. They were drilling into the trunk to mount a new radio and drilled straight into the gas tank. Just take a good look over the car if you're going to buy one.

Just something to think about.

I think it would be a lot of fun to go with an LX Sport instead of a P-71 for the abuse the cop cars go through. But get a dark color, some tint, rims, and then make it a project. Get any aftermarket parts I can for the car. But this is all a far off dream as the desire to mod the stang is still too high to get away from.

If you are looking for v8 power the vic is not they way to go. My friend has a 99 PI with 3.55s and he spins 1 wheel just like us. It feels slow as hell and its slower then a stock v6 mustang thats for sure. Look into something else. Its a nice comfortable ride though.

slowstang305 said:
If you are looking for v8 power the vic is not they way to go. My friend has a 99 PI with 3.55s and he spins 1 wheel just like us. It feels slow as hell and its slower then a stock v6 mustang thats for sure. Look into something else. Its a nice comfortable ride though.

You're right and wrong. Stock it's not a fast car. I also don't see why you make having an open differential to be such a big deal. Either way, the V8 will have A LOT more potential than our engines ever will. Mod for Mod, the Vic will see more gains than a V6 Mustang. You just have to overcome the weight of the car. But muscle cars were never light either.

You need to go on a police ride along, maybe then maybe you'll have a little more respect for these cars.

Yeah a V8 always has more potential, but it sounds like he would like it to be quick stock. he said he was a college kid which I assume means limited funds. You will have v8 power stock but you wouldnt feel it because its a heavy car.

PS. I Like my wheels to spin together not one at a time.

If it matters, you can do donuts just the same in a crown vic as you can a stang, you've just gotta know how to "shock the drivetrain" in a manner that works.

The crown vic will run 140 no prob and then back to 0 and sit at idle and not even sputter.......the stang will do the same, but try doing that while riding in a 4000 lb. leather couch

All you guys are right. I am a college kid which means limited funds, but on the other hand, I wasn't expecting the Vic to be fast stock. My grandfather drives a 2001 Grand Marquis so I know a bit about the car. But I was looking at doing some exhaust work, pulleys if I can find them for a Vic. I was just going to make a small project out of it, just do the smae bolt ons that we all do with our stangs.

On the other hand, I have found a car from an Ebay seller, not listed on ebay though. A 99 yellow GT 5-speed with 79k. The guy says its in great condition inside and out. Selling it for 8500 in upstate NY. Not sure which way to go, keep my car and keep modding it, get the Vic and mod it as time and money allow, or get the GT and have it stock because I will be out of money.

That's a tough decision.

The Ford dealership by my house has this '99 CV for $6,750. It has 64k miles(less than my '01) and the handling package. Just an awesome looking Car.
ft1848pb.jpg

My dad and I were considering trading my Mustang for it, since I do a lot of commuting. But I still like the Mustang and it is easier to park in the garages at school. That's a problem with these cars. Every builder seems to think that everyone drives Civics now. My dad can't fit his '01 Grand Marquis in our garage.