PAINT PROBLEMS THAT FORD KNOWS ABOUT

HAVE YOU HAD TROUBLE WITH THE PAINT ON YOUR 05-09 MUSTANG?

• YES ON HOOD

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • YES FIXED BY FORD

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • DID NOT KNOW OF PROBLEM

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimbosbluestang

Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM ?
I OWN AN 06 MUSTANG AND HAVE NOTICED THAT THE PAINT IS BUBBLING
ON THE HOOD I TOOK IT TO MY DEALER WHO INFORMED ME THAT THEY HAVE HAD TO MAKE REPAIRS ON 4-5 OTHER HOODS. YOU SEE THE PROBLEM IS THE HOOD 'S ARE ALUMINUM AND THEY ARE OXIDIZING UNDER THE PAINT
THE CAR IS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD AND IS KEPT IN GREAT SHAPE. THEY INFORMED ME IT WOULD COST ME 800.00 DOLLARS TO REPAIR MY HOOD
I CALLED FORD AND THEY DENIED KNOWING OF ANY PROBLEM AND WOULD DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.I FEEL THAT FORD SHOULD BE RESPONSABLE FOR REPAIRING MY CAR I WORK FOR AN AUTROMOTIVE TESTING FACILITY AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM ON FORIEGN CARS.I AM VERY UPSET AND AM LOOKINMG INTO FILING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST FORD SO IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW OF SIOME ONE WHO HAS PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME.AND IF YOU HAVEN'T YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT YOUR HOOD AROND THE EDGES AND ON THE FRONT AND REAR LIPS MY VEHICLE HAS 52,000 MILES ON IT BUT THE PAINT LOOKS LIKE NEW.EXCEPT WHERE IT HAS BUBBLED.FORD WAAS THE ONLY MANUFACTURER
TO MAKE A PROFIT AND THAT WAS MADE MOSTLY BY MUSTANG LOVERS HARDEARNED DOLLARS LIKE US.AND THEY LEFT US HUNG OUT TO DRY.I CERTAINLLY HOPE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO YOU.YOU CAN COTACT ME AT [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Difficult to read, too. Some words are also spelled incorrectly. Have someone proof what you read.
I'm not trying to be difficult. I am just suggesting that small things when filing a complaint can matter.
There has been an issue with hoods. This site has pointed them out. I don't know if there is enough of a problem to warrant a lawsuit. I think Ford in most instances has helped people. Maybe it is just the dealer in this case.

I looked and mine has the bubbleing under the hood and just found a tiny speck with what looks like the start of bubble veins on my roof!! My car has 16k miles on it! I am not the original owner. How long does the ford rust warranty last and does it transfer to a new owner?

patrick

get your panties out of that bunch! NO MANUFACTURER will cover corrosion unless it is through the metal. Sometimes a dealer will cover it for you on their own and worry about getting paid from the manufacturer later, just to satisfy the customer. yes, there may be a spot under the hood. is it actually growing in size? are you 100% sure it is corrosion under the paint and not some excess sealer that is painted over?

if you are so worried about it, take it to an independent shop and have them repair the surface imperfection and spot paint it for far less than you were quoted. trust me, trying to get a manufacturer to cover something like this is not worth the headache, Ford is not the only one. if you think foreign cars do not have similar problems, you have not been exposed to them enough.

I got paint flaking and peeling off my driver's door handle. I'll take it in to see if they can do something about it. I don't wear rings or anything so I know I didn't scuff it up.

I had the same problem on mine in fall 2006. I'd had the car two years and I had something like 17,000 miles when I noticed it. I took it to my (at the time) local Ford Dealership. They Hadn't seen the issue before but said they would contact Ford to see if they would take care of it. They didn't call me back. I went back to the dealership in the spring (no sense coating new paint with road salt) and they said they had seen a few more and told me they would take care of it for me. They ordered, painted, and installed a brand new hood at no cost to me.

get your panties out of that bunch! NO MANUFACTURER will cover corrosion unless it is through the metal. Sometimes a dealer will cover it for you on their own and worry about getting paid from the manufacturer later, just to satisfy the customer. yes, there may be a spot under the hood. is it actually growing in size? are you 100% sure it is corrosion under the paint and not some excess sealer that is painted over?

if you are so worried about it, take it to an independent shop and have them repair the surface imperfection and spot paint it for far less than you were quoted. trust me, trying to get a manufacturer to cover something like this is not worth the headache, Ford is not the only one. if you think foreign cars do not have similar problems, you have not been exposed to them enough.

+1 Paint is cosmetic and subject to the elements like sun, rain and road grime, even in a garage it's subject to humidity and dust, even under car covers so there is no warranty for paint from ANY manufacturer foreign or domestic. As for foreign cars they wish to only have paint problems, Hyundai has recall on sonatas and santa fe's due to sub frame and trailing arm rot and all other foreign cars i see on my lifts everyday have rust and rot and bubbling paint too so get off the Waaaambulance go to a body shop and have the hood repainted, a good professional job costs $400 with blending.

I have an area about the size of my fist on underneath of the hood that's flaking off. I also have a little bit on the edge of the hood, around where the grille is. It's not really noticable unless you pop the hood, but it's still a pain.

+1 Paint is cosmetic and subject to the elements like sun, rain and road grime, even in a garage it's subject to humidity and dust, even under car covers so there is no warranty for paint from ANY manufacturer foreign or domestic. As for foreign cars they wish to only have paint problems, Hyundai has recall on sonatas and santa fe's due to sub frame and trailing arm rot and all other foreign cars i see on my lifts everyday have rust and rot and bubbling paint too so get off the Waaaambulance go to a body shop and have the hood repainted, a good professional job costs $400 with blending.

Manufacturers WILL cover paint defects, and bubbling paint on a new car is a defect, not normal wear and tear.

Unfortunately, you may be SOL.

You could try printing out this TSB, as pointed out by BCBOOGT (TSB 06-25-15), and taking it to a reputable dealer and see if they would be willing to fix it.

I, too, just noticed this on my car yesterday and plan on taking it to a dealer in hopes that it will get fixed.

Auto Industry Paint Peeling Issues

Automotive painting is a science.

A typical finish consists of four layers:
1) electrocoat - provides corrosion protection
2) primer - protects electrocoat, stone chip resistance, adhesion
between basecoat and elctrocoat
3) basecoat - provides color to the vehicle
4) clearcoat - sunlight protection, scratch resistance, gloss
and appearance properties

Film thickness is a criteria used by the auto industry to ensure durability.

Each of the 4 layers must be at the proper film thickness specification.

If any of the individual layers is below specification. The vehicle would
be considered a factory paint defect.

A visible manifestation of low film thickness is paint peeling, body rusting and stone chipping.

Note: This is in addition to the TSB that has been issued concerning corrosion.

Since the mid 1990s the auto industry while retaining ownership of the paint facilities have outsourced
the process and quality responsibilities to multiple paint suppliers.

Outsourcing in this application is defined as a process in which a company
assigns its in-house operations to a third party.

Specifics on automotive paint suppliers roles within the facilities may be found in textbooks published
both in Europe and America. The most recent textbook being released in 2008.

The paint suppliers actively market and advertise their outsourcing expertise with terms such as
"Cost Per Unit" or "Pay As Painted" supplier programs. Outsourcing [Cost Per Unit] programs are
common throughout Europe and America within the auto industry.

Not all vehicle flaws are associated with the paint itself, vehicle design and weathering will
impact the vehicle's finish.

It is our opinion that the automaker, auto dealer and consumer should not receive a vehicle painted
below the automaker's film thickness specifications of any of the four layers that comprise a vehicle's finish.

We have analyzed the film thickness data of over 11,000 vehicles and
have found that the measurements are below the automakers' specifications.

Low film thickness will cause paint failures.

Investigation summarized in press releases:
Billions Discovered for Recovery by Automakers
and
New Books Reveal Vehicle Paint Quality Flaws Associated with Outsourcing

A quick internet search for the following:

Toyota Paint Problems, Toyota Paint Peeling
Ford Paint Problems, Ford Paint Peeling
GM Paint Problems, GM Paint Peeling
Chrysler Paint Problems, Chrysler Paint Peeling
Honda Paint Problems, Honda Paint Peeling
Nissan Paint Problems, Nissan Paint Peeling

will return results back in the millions.

Public Interest best served by a "Truth in Finish Disclosure"
with the purchase of any vehicle.

The automakers trust their suppliers.

They should receive a finish painted to their specifications....

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum; found it while Googling this problem - was looking for a TSB on it for 2008's. Didn't find anything on 2008's; but it looks like it's a known problem for earlier years. My Ford mechanic told me about it a few weeks ago, just a few days after several news sources published articles discussing the issue. He told me this was a known problem and it's something I should get fixed before warranty expires. Since warranty expires in the next month, I'm taking it in this coming week. Anyone else seeing this problem on 2008's?

Thanks for posting all the info above. This is really informative. - Lizette.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum; found it while Googling this problem - was looking for a TSB on it for 2008's. Didn't find anything on 2008's; but it looks like it's a known problem for earlier years. My Ford mechanic told me about it a few weeks ago, just a few days after several news sources published articles discussing the issue. He told me this was a known problem and it's something I should get fixed before warranty expires. Since warranty expires in the next month, I'm taking it in this coming week. Anyone else seeing this problem on 2008's?

Thanks for posting all the info above. This is really informative. - Lizette.

Yep. I have a 2008 GT and the clearcoat is bubbling on the hood and fenders