painted stripes, what did they cost you guys?

Siggy33

Nov 6, 2005
Title pretty much explains it. The "shelby" style stripes painted all the way down the rear and front facias. How much you guys fork over for yours?

PS if anyone knows of any good shops in the so-cal area let me know por favor

• Sponsors (?)

I had mine done for a grande, though once he got done with them he said there is no way he could do it again for less than $1200 because of how long it took him to buff the hood since it is aluminum. He did a great job, you can run your hand over the stripes and you can't feel the edge. And I am sure it was handy going to highschool with him too:D

It cost me about $950 after all the little stuff. I had the 'G.T. 350' stencils made for the rocker stripes, and did all the measuring and layout myself. That way I had total control over the stripe placement. That in itself is a lot of work. I used the original Shelby stripe dimensions which are available online. My car is White, and for the stripes I mixed a Blue Pearl that took a long time to develop. I cut several 12"X12" pieces of 22-ga sheetmetal, which I had the painter shoot White, then mask off half of the face, then shoot 6-different colors I liked. Then I had these large White & Blue painted squares that I could lay out and look at. Dozens of people viewed these squares and the "final" color kept getting the vote. The original '66 Shelby stripe Guardsman Blue never got a nod! After measuring carefully, I marked the "rough" stripe boundaries w/ a china marker. After rechecking everything, I set up a laser level on a tripod, and projected the laser line from several points to verify the alignment. Once happy with the boundaries, I marked through the laser lines with a new Sharpie, making tiny marks every three or four inches. This gives the painter a perfect line to mask to, and any prep solvent will remove the marks before paint. Few painters have actually done these LeMans Stripes, so this layout prep assures that there are no questions or surprises when the paint is laid down. This all sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but there is no way you are going to get a straight stripe edge by pulling out a piece of masking tape. Especially over a curved surface. The finished product is the proof! I did the stripes from CDC chin spoiler to the rear skirt. All painted surfaces were clearcoated for a smooth finish. I also removed and painted the side mirrors, like the Multimatic cars. I left the mirror mount "triangle" factory black, like Porsche does. Also fitted and painted was the Roush hood scoop. It looks awesome, and It draws a crowd wherever I go. I'll get some pics soon. The weather's been crappy lately, so I'll do my photo shoot as soon as I can. I should also note that I work for a Porsche Dealership, so I have more of a relationship with the paint shop than the average bear. It is vital that you have some access to the painter during this work because you both are going to have questions. A "Fifty" folded in half at introduction always helps! I didn't mean to ramble on so long; hope this helps.