Mach 1 Painted Valve Covers and Removal

larrendeuce

Sep 13, 2003
Southern NJ
I painted the bare aluminum valve covers on my Mach 1. It was annoying with everything looking new and clean, then you see those ugly things messing up the look. I took about a week to get to this point putting in a few hours after work everyday. Learn how I got them out at the bottom.

The pictures are way too large to directly post so goto http://home.comcast.net/~larrendeuce/Mustang%20Mach%201.htm
to see them full size. I used 3 coats self etching primer, 2 coats color, and 2 coats clear. The Valve covers are Ford Dark Shadow Grey (CX), and the Coil covers black. I plan on putting them on this weekend and taking some more shots of everything assembled.

I haven't been able to find much useful information on removing the valve covers in online fourms, manuals, or even with my friends access to the ford tech website. I needed to remove the shaker, disconnect the fuel line over the passenger side cover, and I bent the ac lines out of the way. The throttle body needed to come off, and the air intake box, hoses, etc. It was a tight fit but it comes out. On the drivers side the powersteering reservoir and bracket were unbolted and moved aside. The hydro-boost unit is a real pain. 1 bolt on the firewall, 4 under the dash(3 on the booster 1 on the pedal bracket. After the pedals were unbolted the clutch cable came off the stock plastic quadrant and then unbolted from the firewall. The hydro-boost needs to come out of the firewall, 2 bolts holding the master cylinder to it and it will pull twards the front of the car at about a 15* angle. I was able to move the master cylinder enough that I didn't need to disconnect the brake lines. After all that, the drivers cover comes out.

View attachment 387937 View attachment 387938 View attachment 387939 View attachment 387940 View attachment 387941 View attachment 387942

• Sponsors (?)

I am trying to figure out if I should paint the timing cover. I was thinking ford blue to look like the old mach 1 engines. Then again it might look out of place. I need to do something with that optima battery also.