Painting ?'s autobody guys read

03REDFIRE

Apr 3, 2004
LOST
Im thinking of painting a s281 sploiler for my 94 stang myself. Ive done body work for my other cars and got them paint ready but Ive never sprayed a car. I have sprayed other things such as interior peices ect.

Anyways lets assume The spoiler is prefit and mounted then removed and all prep work is done Hit with Primer and wet sanded with 2000 grit.

At this point it should be cleaned prior to paint.

Is rubbing alcohol acceptable to clean with or should I Buy/use something else?

I spray it with 2-3 light coats of paint and then clearcoat it with 2-3 light coats of clear I would wet sand it again with 2000 grit being careful on corners. correct?

I have a gravity feed gun and compressor (30 Psi good?) and my front bumper is faded to the point where there is no clear left I figured I could do my new spoiler if it didnt come out good I would only be out Time and cost of paint If it does come out good I can do the front bumper. To get me by till I can afford a professional complate paint job.

Any insight of painting, preping, and clearcoating will be helpfull.

My passenger fender is also faded with no clear left on it we wont get into blending yet wanna try the spoiler first those are my only trouble spots on the car its the original paint on a 94 Dent, ding, rust, and scratch free.

For the record I plan on taking the orignal spoiler off and have them snap a picture on it to match the paint correctly at the paint store.

• Sponsors (?)

2000 grit is way too fine to use before basecoating.

Ideally the steps are as follows, scuff spoiler, apply primer surfacer. Let that dry and sand that smooth with 400-600 grit and then apply a sealer (unless primer can be used as a sealer) apply 2 - 3 coats of basecoat letting it flash between coats, then apply 2 - 3 coats of clear and wetsand and buff as needed. but really you're better off to sell me your spoiler ;) lol what color is it being painted? I would prep and paint it for you, for 50 bucks plus paint.

Yup what he said. Basecoat should be medium coats and clear should be 2 wet coats. I would sand with 180-220 then filler prime. then wet or dry with 320-400. then epoxy for sealer 3 base or until you get hiding, then 2 clear. use 1000 wet and polish with 3m perfect-it.