Painting Valve Covers

aNotchAbove

Jun 7, 2006
I'm planning on cleaning up my valve covers and had some questions about the painting process. I'm going to degrease them, then sand them down, but I'm not sure if I should primer them before spraying them with engine enamel. Any thoughts on this?

• Sponsors (?)

When I painted mine the first time, I do not recall if I primed them. If I did I can assure you it was with a hi temp primer. The last time I did them I just scuffed and painted over the old paint. I used a hi temp base and clear and they came out pretty good. Take your time and make them really look nice!

If you havent picked a color yet I strongly suggest a bright silver. Make it pop but appear almost stock.

I wish i could remember the name of the guy i sold my stock valve covers to on here. he asked "What the hell did you paint these with, i cant get it off"

I stripped them totally using aerosol paint stripper, cleaned the hell out of them after that. sprayed them with high temp primer (3 coats) then went on with hi temp silver (3-4 coats) then used hi temp clear (3-4 coats)

I have painted my brackets and everything like that, and ive even dropped them before, and the paint wont come off.