parasitic drain

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
alright the car will go dead over night. i had the battery checked and the alternator checked and they both are [putting out good.

i dont know what it is next time i get a chance i will start goin through the fuses to see if i could find anything.

i'm thinking about getting a battery disconnect switch and when i'm not driving the car disconnecting the battery. will that mess with anything in the computer or tweecer.

• Sponsors (?)

I have seen alternators put a drain on the battery after the car is shut off even though they actually charge normally when the car is running.

That would be the first thing I would check but a number of other things could cause you problem as well.

Do you have a DMM? Set it to measure current and put the meter leads in series between the disconnected battery cable and post. Make sure all interior and underhood lights are off and note the reading. If fuses don't change the reading, you might need to do things like disconnect the alternator cable (a bad diode pack in the alt can cause a hard discharge, for instance).

Here's a link that might help.

Good luck.

when i had my car on jacks to put the headers on. The car was on enough of an incline to make the mercury switch in the trunk kill the batt overnight. Could be the same prob for you or even the hood light too. try pulling the bulbs out to see if that cures the prob

i dont have an underhood light and i;v checked my other lights to make sure none are staying on.

what mercury switch are you talking about.?
and is it ok to leave the battery unplugged while i'm trying to find the problem? just so i'm not recharging it every day.

There's a tilt switch in the trunk lid. ^^

Don't overlook lights that are tough to see when the item is closed (glovebox lights, vanity lights in the visors, etc). It's fine to disco' the battery in the meantime. You'll obviously have to reconnect some stuff to do any testing however.

Good luck.