Parking brake light......

• Sponsors (?)

Check your brake fluid level.

The BRAKE light is for the parking brake and also the low fluid sensor in the master cylinder. When you drive it sloshes around and trips the sensor.

Most of the time when it gets low and there is no leak..it means your pads are almost worn out as the pistons are extended out far and using up fluid

I kinda have the same problem. My light works sometimes and not others?!?! Sometimes when im parked on a little bit of a hill it will come on and not go off for a little bit, and most of the time it just doesnt work. Im ripping the guage cluster out soon to put a new cluster with white faced guages, and i will check all the connections then, could just be a bad ground, dont know. I will keep u updated. Lata

Mustang5L5 said:
Check your brake fluid level.

The BRAKE light is for the parking brake and also the low fluid sensor in the master cylinder. When you drive it sloshes around and trips the sensor.

Most of the time when it gets low and there is no leak..it means your pads are almost worn out as the pistons are extended out far and using up fluid

Sounds like a very logical explination to me. I have the same problem, but thought the cause was different (though now I believe my problem is caused by what you just described).

I've known for a while that the asshat that I had replaced my parking brake cable (would've done it myself, but I needed it fixed quick and I wouldn't have been able to fix it for at least a week and a half) didn't reattach the switch for the light correctly. The reason I didn't take it back right then is that the light for the break hadn't been working consistently even before that.

When I took appart my center console for my Pro 5.0 shifter installation, I found that the switch was not reattached at all. The bolt and screw weren't there and the switch was (attached to the wire) in a small plastic bag to protect it. When I found it in this condition, I thought that the reason the light had been coming on while driving recently was that the vibrations of driving had shifted the switch into a position where the circuit was completed.

But now that I think about it, I have known for a while that my pads are very warn and are need need of replacement. This explination sounds much more reasonable.

Since my suspension parts are on back order, I guess I'll do the breaks this weekend.