Progress Thread [Parts] Foxbody 5.0: 3D printer / STL models

snovak

Oct 9, 2020
Croatia
Hello!

INTRO: I am from Croatia, Europe. Proud owner of '88 5.0 vert.
As we don't have much stores here (if any) with US car parts, and shipping from USA for small parts costs a fortune sometimes, if they want to ship I was forced to improvise.
Therefore, I made few reproduction parts with 3D printer. I am sure there is more of us, so this topic would be my contribution to Foxbody society :)
We can't reproduce alternator, of course, but some parts of the car can be done with PLA, ABS etc and finished to (at least) look as original.

Soooo, please, if anybody else has projects attach here.
Moderators, feel free to move this topic to other part of forum if You find in inappropriate here.

Attached is the first one:
DOOR STRIKER BUSHING
Flashprint file, Solid Edge model, STL
Printer: Flashforge Guide II 2
Material: PLA
- part fits on striker, but has just a little bit bigger OD than needed (You cant open door properly), so I ground it a bit on site. Never corrected model afterward...

Attachments

• Door_Striker_bushing.zip
    652.3 KB · Views: 87
  • door_striker.png
    door_striker.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

HOOD PROP RETAINER CLIP
*plastic part where You put andsecure Your hood prop before closing hood
Flashprint file, STL
Material: ABS
- use ABS, PLA is too weak for this use...

Attachments

• Foxbody__hood_prop_retaining_clip.zip
    454.9 KB · Views: 80
  • hood_prop.png
    hood_prop.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: 1 user
LICENSE PLATE HOLDER
In Europe we have wider 'normal' license plates, too wide to fit between rear lights. In Croatia we have a 280x200mm (~11x8") license plate choice for special vehicles (which I used). This one is, sadly, a bit too tall to fit also.
Therefore, I made angled license plate holder, or adaptor if You like.
Flashprint file, Solid Edge model, STL
-adjust per Your license plate dimensions/country limitations. AND check if it is legal before permanent use!!!

Attachments

• License_plate_EU.zip
    928.8 KB · Views: 61
  • license_plate_eu.jpg
    license_plate_eu.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 85
FUEL LINE DISCONNECT TOOLS
* 1/2, 3/8 and 5/8 tools for one-time use
Flashprint file for all + 5/8 separately (which I broke once), STL files
- I did not try, maybe ABS would be more rigid. 5/8 PLA broke on one old stuck line, but it was more my fault due to excessive force used.

NOT A PART:
KEYCHAIN Mustang horse
* I found this online and made it smaller to fit on keys
Flashprint, STL files (careful, big model)
- Black ABS, and I broken into SWMBO nail polish stuff and paaaaints!!!! Found nice white for horse, and red for groove between bezel and horse. Transparent as finish. If You have newest model of SWMBO, You may have a wider choice of colors :) :):rolleyes:

Attachments

• Foxbody_Keychain.zip
    797.9 KB · Views: 70
  • foxbody_keychain.jpg
    foxbody_keychain.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 88
FUEL FILTER SECURE CLIPS
* The clips that fit into fuel filter connectors to secure them. When old enough, may collapse when changing filter, and if You don't receive them with new fuel filter.....
Flashprint for 2 pcs, STL file
- ABS would be better choice, but I had PLA on machine at the time

Attachments

• Foxbody_Fuel_Filter_Clip.zip
    282.8 KB · Views: 68
  • foxbody_fuel_filter_clip.jpg
    foxbody_fuel_filter_clip.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 86
I wouldn’t use PLA on those parts. Use something more durable as PLA will start to break down over time. You really don’t want a fuel line clip to degrade and fail and cost you your car.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t use PLA on those parts. Use something more durable as PLA will start to break down over time. You really don’t want a fuel line clip to degrade and fail and cost you your car.

Good point! Therefore:
WARNING:
* I would recommend ABS at least for all parts.
**Also, everybody should note (at least) that all parts are made with 100% infill.
***It should be clear to everybody that all thoose reproductions are not OEM automotive industry rigidly tested parts and that they SHOULD BE MONITORED.

Another reproduction. On my vert rear quarter driver window failed. Luckily it was not motor but broken gear instead. Just tare apart motor shaft and test motor. If it is working, problem is in gears. My gear was actually cracked, and window was not moving up or down for 0.1", You could hear only clicks.
WINDOW GEAR AND PINS
* The 45-tooth gear and three "bushings" that go between motor shaft and window mechanism as a protection, rather to crash this parts than window guides/motor....
Flashprint, STL file, Solid Edge files
- For gear I used 100% infill
- For three pins i used 15% infill
Warning: this should not be permanent replacement part, only as a temporary solution until You receive OEM part!
I should not be responsible for any damage.

For durability I will report back. Original parts are ordered, but I will keep thoose in until they fail.

Attachments

• foxbody_window_gear.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 75
  • foxbody_windows_gear.jpg
    foxbody_windows_gear.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 85
  • foxbody_windows_gear_pin.jpg
    foxbody_windows_gear_pin.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 99
FYI I started to work on ashtray plate prototype. Quit smoking several years ago so ashtray is not needed... but I vape :)

I want to keep this vert as stock as possible, but still have some modern touch.
One should remove stock ashtray and lighter, and simply stick in 3D printed cover plate. Close the ashtray lid and nothing is visible.
Furthermore and if I respect all below, reversing to OEM should take few seconds. Lift and unplug plate, reinstall lighter and ashtray and it is all back to stock like nothing was there.

When finish, I will upload also a solid plate (uncut holes). Preview picture of first prototype for dimensioning attached (aluminum PLA used).
Usable surface in above ashtray hole by design is 87x40mm (~4"x1.5") and some shallow space above 12V OEM lighter...
Personally, I don't want to cut/dremel center console, but if someone wishes to do so, I think you could squeeze cup holder in there, at least for thinner bottles (I see that lots of you want that here),
Additionally, options open and you can use this plate for mounting: illumination, displays, gauges, switches, inputs/outputs, NOS, anything...

Nevertheless, my plan is to make this "mod" reversible as possible:
- buy cheapo car charger (does not matter use/type), strip it down and pull out 12V wires. This plug will stick into OEM lighter place as a power source for complete plate, kindly avoiding any splicing into OEM wires :)
- in modelled plate above this I will install small chassis mount main on-off switch (1-pole) for total manual 100% cut-off
- wires from above switch will go to 2 pcs of 12V chassis mount double usb plugs (RV, boat type). Both of them are ordered with on/off switch and also with green light to blend with AOD indicator bulb, and one of them with green digital voltage display
There is a possiblility that I will need to make a groove for plugs if the ashtray lid wont close (due to a lip at the right side of lid).
Everything is ready and in place... only waiting for dual usb plugs to arrive from China... master Yoda would say "patience you must have, worth it will be..." :)

Attachments

• 1614326474472.jpg
    1614326474472.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 102
Guys You have three simple new desings and useful parts for engine teardown or rebuild:

1. Dizzy cap - I think yall are sick of those old shirts or towels sticking out like too big sock on foot hahahaha
2. PCV cap - same thing as 1 on back side for crankcase ventilation
3. Same as dizzy cap but with hole which should be reamed to Your home made priming tool diameter...stick this to keep priming tool and drill in place.

All three parts have grooves for o-rings, useful for Your new sneakers if You turn engine on stand hahaha.

Simple parts, but make life easier.
STL files only.

Attachments

• PCV-cap.jpg
    PCV-cap.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 49
  • dizzy-priming_tool.jpg
    dizzy-priming_tool.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 31
  • dizzy-pcv.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 39