Fox Passenger door stuck locked ... how can I get open

MrPerfect2

Jul 23, 2019
Washington DC
90 convt GT with power locks - can’t open door to take panel off . I tried to pull interior handle and push unlock button - the door key lock only goes one way and won’t go past middle when turned with 2 different keys . I tried lube in lock - going to get a threaded sleeve to screw on the lock bar at top of panel and try pulling up

• Sponsors (?)

I had this issue as well. My door lock actuators were seized in the lock position. For the time being I just took the door lock actuators out and work with manual locks. I bought cheap Amazon replacement actuators, but haven't felt like putting them in yet.

This is not usually an easy thing, can you get a pair of needle nose vice grips on the lock rod? Sometimes you can pull up enough to open it with the door handle at the same time, use someone on the outside to pull up on the door handle as you pull up on the vice grips. Otherwise you can pull the seat out, slide it onto the back seat, easier to do if you pull the arm rest off, you should be able to take the door panel off then, it's not easy but can be done.

No, the cylinder is not likely the issue here. Most times it is the power door lock actuator has frozen. Once that seizes up it prevents you from using the key, or pulling up the lock manually. Like mentioned, you can try to get a vice grip on the lock rod and try working it up and down. Don't drill out the lock. You will only end up with a door that still won't open and a destroyed door lock.

Chris

The door lock actuator is frozen as stated by the other guys . You have to work that lock up . Then you can disconnect just the actuator for the time being until you get a actuator . You’ll still be able to lock and unlock manually

I had one seize on my 86 Hatchback. On the hatchback you can pull the door panel off from inside the car without damaging it. It is not fun but also not that difficult. Same screws and clips as when the door is open. If I remember correctly I pulled the seat out to get some extra room. The panel should flex enough to get around the rest of the interior. I'm not sure if a convertible is any different if anything might be easier since you can put the top down and reach in.

For what it worth I did not think it was going to work until after I did it.

Once the panel is off you can disconnect the linkage and remove or change to lock solenoid.

The plyers thing did not work for me.

After the driver door you think I would have learned my lesson and fixed the other door …. Nope , lol . Got stuck closed also - my fix was to open the door panel enough on top to get a long rod down to sit on top of actuator and pound the crap out of it till it broke free and fell to bottom of door - then I was able to open it with handles and take panel off and reach in and remove the actuator POS from the car - problem solved - so glad it’s not a 4dr lol

The lock solenoid froze up on my passenger door. My son pulled up on the billet lock knob with two hands while I turned the key almost hard enough to break the key. We got it unlocked. I will post results from the autopsy of the solenoid.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening? (Solenoids locking up)
Nope. I've talked with the folks at LMR about it. I told them I'd be willing to pay double for some that didn't require me to pull my old door apart every 12 to 18 months and replace them. They said nothing they can do. At some point, all the other crap you are prying on and removing constantly will wear out or break. Same thing for headlights. They last me a max of 2 years. Usually only one though. I begged then to invest in quality replacements.... Same answer. It's not just them... It's across the board.
The only problem I've had with completely removing the actuators is every time I mash the lock thing down and close the door it pops back to unlock... Every single time. So I end up just locking it with the key. Very annoying.