Electrical Passenger power window wont go up

Vulpes5.0

5 Year Member
Nov 17, 2018
Warner Robins, Georgia
I’ve tried a lot and spent a lot of money on stuff i thought would fix this and im coming here for some help.
My driver’s side window works peachy fine, passenger side ONLY goes down. Both sides have new motors that i tested in both directions, and i have all 3 of my power window switches new from LMR. I’ve been searching for a short or whatever it is that’s causing this to not work. I’ve even gotten an outside view to make sure im not going crazy. Driver’s side switch that controls the passenger window does nothing whatsoever, no up or down, passenger side passenger window switch only works down. I’ve tried scratching the pins for better connections and test lighting all kinds of things using the wiring diagram but it seems to me that everything should work properly. Any ideas as to what is causing it? I feel like it’s something simple I’m overlooking but I’m at a loss.

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve tried a lot and spent a lot of money on stuff i thought would fix this and im coming here for some help.
My driver’s side window works peachy fine, passenger side ONLY goes down. Both sides have new motors that i tested in both directions, and i have all 3 of my power window switches new from LMR. I’ve been searching for a short or whatever it is that’s causing this to not work. I’ve even gotten an outside view to make sure im not going crazy. Driver’s side switch that controls the passenger window does nothing whatsoever, no up or down, passenger side passenger window switch only works down. I’ve tried scratching the pins for better connections and test lighting all kinds of things using the wiring diagram but it seems to me that everything should work properly. Any ideas as to what is causing it? I feel like it’s something simple I’m overlooking but I’m at a loss.
Power Window tips & tricks

Motor removal & replacement

Remove the door mounted speaker & the upholstery panel to gain access to the motor. There are 3 screws (5/16" hex head, I think) that secure the motor in place. Remove them and the motor comes out without any problems. Once you remove all the screws from the motor, and it falls away from the gear teeth on the arm for the glass, the glass will move up and down. You may need a helper to hold the glass once the motor screws are out, since the gear on the motor holds the glass from sliding up or down

Motor interchange
The motor is the same for left side or right side, only the gearboxes are different. If you can't find the complete assembly for the side you want, you can get either side and use the old gearbox on the new motor.

The window motor gearbox has 3 plastic rollers that are a safety clutch to prevent possible injury if the window is rolled up while something or someone is hanging out the window. The plastic rollers will often disintegrate into chunks of plastic and the window will no longer roll up or down. The motor runs, but the window does not move or only move a little.
rnb-74410.jpg

The Help! section of your local auto parts store will have the replacement plastic rollers.
See NAPA Window Regulator Gear Plug

235297.jpg

Napa p/n Balkamp 6651524

Cost is 9.49$

AutoZone and other auto parts stores see Dorman 74410 / Window Lift Motor Gear Kit
Cost is $7.99

Power Window Wiring Diagrams

Diagrams courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Fuse panel and circuit breaker layout
MustangFuseBox.gif

87-92 model cars power window wiring:

mustang87-92%20PowerWindowWiring.gif

93 model cars power window wiring:
mustang93PowerWindows.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info Everyone should bookmark

This is just my thoughts with the info you gave. If you have new motors I'd say it's not the three plastic pucks inside the motor. You also have zero happening on one switch and only down on the other. I'd say it's definitely a wiring issue as opposed to mechanical. Where? No idea. What I would do is get a length of wire and put power on the window motor at the plug. Reverse and make the window move up and down. Then go from there.
That would be my two cents except it's only about ONE cent, if that....lol.

Look at the wiring diagram above, locate the power supply wire, does it have power? If you have power into the switch, determine if it has power coming out for up and down. There is a ground attached to the door, use this as your ground for checking power wires after you determine it is a good ground.

I FINALLY figured it out. it took me days of slaving away prodding things with a test light and grounding random wires. It was confusing me like hell because the passenger side would work if i grounded one side. The wires at the motor worked normally when i pressed down, but when i pressed up, it acted as though both sides were getting positive power and there was no ground. I traced the black and red wire from the drivers side into the car, prodding as i went, because it didn't supply properly on the passenger side. Somewhere between the door harness and the dash harness on the drivers side, the red/black wire is broken. At the dash harness, i wasn't getting power when i pressed in one direction. I jumped the red/black wire from the switch to the harness and it works perfect. For anyone wondering in the future, the connection from dash to door wiring is underneath the kick panel. it's the largest connector there with the right color wires to match.

Reactions: 1 user