Drivetrain Passenger side rear axle play and clonk

BugsOli

15 Year Member
Jul 1, 2013
Belgium
Hello folks,

A quick video of my passenger side rear axle play, which is clonking when I turn to the left...I just put the car back on its feet after 2 years of modifications :(
I've not even driven 20 miles since I've started the engine for the first time this last Saturday.

Recap of all the parts I've installed for my 5 lugs conversion:
- New rear axles for a Ford Aerostar 89-97 (RockAuto USA STANDARD GEAR USA21181Y)
- North Race Car brackets
- New C-clips
- New clutch pack (RockAuto USA STANDARD GEAR USA16017)
- New cross pin and cross pin shaft bolt
- New axle bearings
- New rear brake calipers for a Ford Mustang Mach 1 03-04 (Summit PWR-S4824A)
- New rear discs from EBC Brakes

There is no end-play on the left side, might be a little too tight there.
I remember that the axles were too long so I had to grind off the ends to be able to put them in, maybe I did ground the right too much?
What do you think guys?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't think there is a spec. The c clip has an o ring that goes with it in the axle groove. The o ring and the clip fit snug into the groove in the axle when installed. There is play about .110 from brand new. with a good o ring you should have acceptable noise. You might have a worn axle, case or side gears if the play is excessive. Never seen it that bad and you may have .180 measured at the outside flange and that would be ok too. The caliper hat allows for the axle movement and with drums it matters even less. Replace the o rings and see if it is better / acceptable

There are lateral and radial runout specs for the axle. They are small less than 8 thousandths I believe. Side clearance is the spec you are after. I would not worry much about it unless it actually measures more than .180 That is when the brakes are going to get pissed