PATS programming [FORScan]

spopa

Mar 18, 2019
Skokie, IL
Hi,
I'm writing this post in case someone has to reprogram the PATS system (keys); this should work on any 99-04 mustangs.
This was tested and worked successfully on a 2001 Mustang (the car came with one key even tho it appeared that two were programmed).

You would have to download FORScan (see download link).
Buy a $10 licence for a year (minimum) and an OHP Elmconfig ELM327 OBD2 USB adapter ($29.99).
After you have these you are ready to program your PATS.
If you have only one key that is already programmed, you would need to buy a second OEM Ford key to be able to program it (Strattec key #597602 - can find them on Amazon and eBay between $10-$20). ACE Hardware will cut your new key [$3].
FORScan will let you program the PATS only with a license.
Installing and getting connected to the car should be straight forward.
Once you have all (the new key/s has to be cut before programming - you would be required to turn on/off the ignition with each key)

Within the PATS function of FORScan you will have to choose option [Erase and Program Keys].
Wait about 10-12 minutes until the software will tell you how to actually program the keys.

Watch this youtube video posted by someone, it will help you with the steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not tested yet, but FORScan should be able to reprogram PATS if you swap/change your cluster assembly [99-04].
FORScan team told me that once you are done with the PATS programming of your new cluster, you will have to go back to the same function select [Module Initialization].
Like I said, I did not test this function yet (for instrumet cluster swap/change).
I successfully reprogrammed two keys (one old and one new) for a 2001 Mustang.

FORScan download
OHP Elmconfig cable

IMAG4877.jpg
scr.jpg
IMAG4876.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad to see examples of people taking advantage of the very cost effective FORScan software. Especially real world success stories.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

I'm a big believer that adding an ODB2 scanner to the trouble shooting "tool box" can forever change the methods used to "fix" your car.

I think FORScan will be a very power-full tool in the future [even now it is].