People with Convertible and Cat backhelp

• Sponsors (?)

To me, it seems that the drone doesn't change when going from vert to hardtop, but more just the exhaust volume.....Correct me if im wrong, but the drone seems to travel up through the floor, which would more or less be the same in both cars.

The actual sound of the exhaust is louder though, b/c i can hear much more noise through the vert's soft top, than a hardtop (especially from the back!)

i hope this is clear...it's hard to put in words...also, it might be wrong.

just something to think about

CottonBurnerz said:
what does the sound have to do with a convertible? :shrug:

I agree that magnapack has the loudest drone at around 2k rpm.... but it's one of the better cat-back out there and the drone is not that loud at all...

Because you are OUTSIDE in the open air! The sound from the exhaust is louder to your ears in a 'vert. Some setups are TOO loud because of this. Thats why I went with the Magnaflows rather then 'Packs.

pdl2flr said:
I have an 03 vert with just an MRT catted H-pipe. Although the MRT pipe made everything a bit louder than stock, the majority of the time I can barely hear the exhaust. I will be installing a Magnaflow catback this weekend. I will try and make some sound clips and post them.

I would love to hear them... Take a sound clip before and after the catback, from the same spot, with the same recording devise for a solid comparison (please)... :D ... If you get them, can you PM me with them? Thanks...

subscribing...

Magnaflows = good choice for not loud and HP

mransr said:
I have magnaflows welded in to the stock exhaust and I have 'zero' drone...

Yeah, I had that exactly. Everything stock except for the mufflers, which were regular Magnaflow. I changed to a MAC because I couldn't hear the exhaust as much as I wanted, plus I decided the mandrel bending couldn't hurt.

The MAC sounds great, but it's a totally different sound than the Magnaflow. To be honest, the Magna's have a great 'purr' sound that is hard to beat. I considered Magnapacks, and probably SHOULD have gotten them, but I still love the way the MAC sounds. It's more growly, and definitely deeper. I don't know, I'm probably equally as happy with the MAC as I would've been Magnapacks. :shrug:

It's going to be plenty loud soon enough, because I'm going to add a high-flow catted X pipe. :hail2: :nice:

Magnaflows won't be loud. Magnapacks, I don't know. Probably WILL be loud from cars I have heard. If I'm not mistaken, Magnaflow actually tends to give the most HP increase. You NEED to read this link:

http://www.mach1review.com/CATBackExhaustSystemsReview.html

That was very helpful to me! I believe it was Bassani that gained basically nothing over stock as far as HP went. But, they said that with a tune, it would've done really well. Seems like Magnaflow is better setup for a more stock 'stang.

ultimate007 said:
I was thinking of getting a Magnaflow Catback until I heard a couple of 'vert owners complaining about the drone at 2000 rpm.
I am looking to change my exhaust in order to gain more power and am not interested in more sound. Can anyone suggest a system that has no drone and that would increase the air flow of my car.

I have Magnapacks, which are louder than Magnaflow and I don't notice any drone, whether top is up or down. But I'm not looking for a drone either. I just enjoy the racy sound and the ride. My wife says my Stang sounds like Eleanor from "Gone in 60 Seconds".

Just get the Magnaflow and enjoy driving it. If you worry about drone, nothing will please you.