Performer RPM 2 with stock heads and cam?

DaveB

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Middlesex and Pomona, NJ
Just picked up a used Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 intake manifold and was wondering if it was worth it to install it with the stock heads and cam? I have a Steeda #19 cam waiting to be installed, but don't yet have heads, so I was holding off on that until I got heads (getting either AFRs or TWs). Now I know the lower intake is the biggest restriction on the intake track, so thats where my idea to install it now came from. Only have minor bolt ons right now...full exhaust (LTs, offroad x), pullies, SPEC clutch, pullies, cold air, smog delete, RPM Extender, and 03 Cobra wheels. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the intake is the biggest restriction in a stock HCI setup....but the heads are a VERY close second.....IMO i would wait until i got the heads.....i put a Cobra u/l on my stock motor with minor bolts ons(bbk shortys,pulleys,70mm tb,o/r h) and picked up very little hp ...most of which is above 3500rpms....just to give example

even if you go FI, the rpm performer will do. That intake can go up to 7000rpm and if you want to turn that, you WILL NEED to upgrade your valvetrain. It can get pretty expensvie QUICK if you want to turn those rpms, valvesprings and lifters + a quality cam to avoid flex. A very reliable source says that steeda #19 cam is junk, just a heads up. IMHO, if you're looking at/about 6000rpm shift points, get some money for that rpm 2.

Thanks for the replies guys. And as for the cam, I got a very good deal on it used, just like I did with the intake, which is why I got both of them. But combined with some AFRs and a Vortech or Novi, it'll make some incredible power. I know I could have gotten a custom cam, but I got the cam and intake for a great deal so Im sticking with them. And yes I plan on upgrading the valvetrain, and Ill see what the dyno ends up showing before I plan my shift points. I just graduated college so thats why I only the minor mods. Now that I have a well paying job, its time for the more serious stuff.

That is a great intake i would keep it. But wait to get the heads and do it all at once. The intake is not a hard job but time consuming. I would only want to do it once. Get all ur parts then go to town!

That is a great intake i would keep it. But wait to get the heads and do it all at once. The intake is not a hard job but time consuming. I would only want to do it once. Get all ur parts then go to town!

Yeah its collecting all the little stuff thats going to nickel and dime me to death. I can't imagine the huge pile of parts Im going to have when I do the swap.

Cool. If you're willing to upgrade your valvetrain, then keep that sukka and shift it at 7k!(not with that cam tho)

I figure I'll rev it up to 6500 or so. Its had an easy life, almost all highway, but I want it to last a little while. But it'll all depend on what the dyno and timeslips say.