Pertonix kit in

tomcatgt

Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
Put a Pertonix in my dual point distributor. Ran fairly smooth before-now it's running rough-started ok. Is it common to have to adjust the timing or is it another problem. Don't have a timing light.

• Sponsors (?)

It came mounted on a metal plate that fit over on of the point pivot studs and then fastened down with one screw. I only saw one way of mounting it but maybe I mounted it wrong. Guess I can go back and pull it to see if there is another location.

you need a timing light. I can't say one way or another on the gap, I'm unfamiliar with pertronix systems relating to dual points (I did mine as single).

However, when I put mine in, my timing changed well over 10 degrees. that should be your problem right there. If you don't have one, get one, or borrow one, or whatever you need to do.

As far as gap goes, I can tell you how it went with my single-points. the magnet part that fits over the shaft must be a certain gap (given by the enclosed little plastic gap gauge) from the module. If this isn't how a dual points works, just ignore me.

:nice:

The dual point kit didn't come with a guage and it is mounted on a metal plate that doesn't allow for any adjustment that I can tell ,UNLESS I mounted it wrong--gonna double check just in case. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!

Checked with Pertronix tech assistance and the dual point kit does come on a plate that mounts it in the correct location. Just took the car out now and it actually started and ran better than before.Think the timing may be off a little but thats easy enough to correct.Thanks