Pi Head Install

Ajwholloway

Dec 6, 2013
Hey guys I have a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online. I have 98 mustang GT and I'm in the process of building the engine. I have the romeo block that came in the car but I am swapping out the stock non - pi heads for a set of Ford racing pi heads that I purchased used off of ebay. The heads came with the cams installed so my question is this; since the heads are used and obviously don't have a cam holding tool on it then one can assume that these cams are not in time. So then how necessary is it to purchase the cam positioning tool since I'm not removing heads that are already in time? Can I install the heads by not purchasing the positioning tool?

• Sponsors (?)

Positioning tool is used only when removal of cams is being performed. This keeps you from removing the timing cover to access the timing chains. Saves a bunch of work.
Since you are removing and replacing heads, you would have to re-time the motor. Search PI swaps, there are a lot of walk-throughs to help you out. Don't be intimidated by the timing procedure, it is quite easy.
good luck.

Positioning tool is used only when removal of cams is being performed. This keeps you from removing the timing cover to access the timing chains. Saves a bunch of work.
Since you are removing and replacing heads, you would have to re-time the motor. Search PI swaps, there are a lot of walk-throughs to help you out. Don't be intimidated by the timing procedure, it is quite easy.
good luck.

That's what I was thinking. You've helped me out a bunch and saved me from having to buy unnecessary tools:)

Hey guys I have a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online. I have 98 mustang GT and I'm in the process of building the engine. I have the romeo block that came in the car but I am swapping out the stock non - pi heads for a set of Ford racing pi heads that I purchased used off of ebay. The heads came with the cams installed so my question is this; since the heads are used and obviously don't have a cam holding tool on it then one can assume that these cams are not in time. So then how necessary is it to purchase the cam positioning tool since I'm not removing heads that are already in time? Can I install the heads by not purchasing the positioning tool?
I would spend the cash and have the heads checked. Just to make sure the valves are sealing properly.