PI headswap first start....BIG PROBLEM HELP!!

put grease on the tap when you heli-coil the plug hole...the chips will stick to the grease.....just go slowly and a little at a time ....also, maybe pull the tap out every so often to clean it off and put fresh grease on it.......ive done many plug hole taps this way over the years and have never had a problem....good luck!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

ok i like that idea but dont you have to drill out the hole in order to use a heli coil? when I tried to tighten the plug down it tried to grab I mean there are some threads in the head just not enought to completely tighten down? im up for anythign right now lol

the spark plug helicoil set comes with a stepped down tap with 2 sizes on it...the first step on the tap is the same size as a spark plug so using whatever is left of your threads it will start the tap straight...the second step to the tap is the bigger size to thread the hole for the insert....now, technically, yes the by the book way is to remove the head for the repair but in the real world it can be done without removing the head, you just need to be VERY careful!!! like i said...use plenty of grease on the tap to trap the filings and go slowly a little bit at a time once the bigger part of the tap grabs hold....also remove the tap every few turns to wipe it off and apply fresh grease...ive done this many times over the years and have had no problems at all...like i said its not the by the book way to do it but it does work....up to you and i wouldnt blame you if you removed the head...just thought id let ya know of my experience with this type of problem....good luck!!!!

the spark plug helicoil set comes with a stepped down tap with 2 sizes on it...the first step on the tap is the same size as a spark plug so using whatever is left of your threads it will start the tap straight...the second step to the tap is the bigger size to thread the hole for the insert....now, technically, yes the by the book way is to remove the head for the repair but in the real world it can be done without removing the head, you just need to be VERY careful!!! like i said...use plenty of grease on the tap to trap the filings and go slowly a little bit at a time once the bigger part of the tap grabs hold....also remove the tap every few turns to wipe it off and apply fresh grease...ive done this many times over the years and have had no problems at all...like i said its not the by the book way to do it but it does work....up to you and i wouldnt blame you if you removed the head...just thought id let ya know of my experience with this type of problem....good luck!!!!

Hell yeah dude i would rather take my time doing thta and get the same job as i would as if I was to remove a head. Oh yeah screw the book ive followed that stupid thing throughout this entire swap and i have had nothing but problems so time to go solo lol... :p

hey guys I finally got the stang up and running again. I taped and helicoiled the head with it still on the car without a problem lots and lots of grease was used lol. Car is running OK but nothing better its really doggy throughout the entire rpm range and it has an oil leak at the pass. back side of the motor. Not quite sure what that is yet i havent really looked. Atleast its running finally.lol