Pi Romeo block

Jagerbeast

Mar 7, 2010
Virginia
Im looking around trying to do some pricing on what i'm going to need to buy to get my 98 gt up to roughly 300 rwhp. I'm having trouble finding a Pi romeo block. Is this something i would have to buy used or will some website have new ones? Is there a reccomended year 01-04 that would be better? Also since i know very little about cars (im learning damnit!) will there be anything i need to get to go with a new romeo pi engine? I've been looking at cams, heads, and gears, anything else i should know about?

• Sponsors (?)

Your 98 is a romeo block. With ported P.I heads cams long tubes, you should be near you hp goal. As far as gears, do you dd the car? If yes I would do 4.10s. If not I would go 4.30s. Do you plan on racing the car or you just looking for more pep?

LOL, i didnt know 98 gt's came stock with a romeo block, it's not a PI though is it? Everything is stock as of now except it has a bbk cai. Just got some wheels ( guy at work hooked me up with some cobras, 2 brand new front tires also for 200$ as he had 3 sets of rims i couldnt say no to that). So all the gears engine, everything is stock.

Yes they are romeo blocks stock and no its not a P.I bottom end. The only difference in the P.I bottom and your bottom end is the pistons. They have the same crank and rods just a little less of a dish which is the reason for the bump in compression when swapping P.I heads on a NPI bottom end. IMHO unless there is something wrong with your bottom end, I would throw new bearings in your block and throw some ported P.I heads and the other thing I mentioned above and you will have a strong running car. Don't forget to top it of with atleast a P.I intake or some other aftermarket intake.

Try car-part.com for a searchable list of salvage yards in your area.

Note, late model Crown Vics and Grand Marquis have SOHC PI Romeo motors that are good possibilities for a donor. I believe the CV/GM's are PI from 2000-2009.

Shy away from the police models as these cars may spend a great deal of time idling. Therefore, mileage is a poor indication of how much wear/tear is on the motor.

The motor in my 2000 GT came from a 2004 CV (Windsor to Romeo swap). Runs great. The CV/GM motors tend to be just a little cheaper. And yes it is slightly more work because some components will need to be swapped.

Question about the long tubes... I live in VA and will need to pass inspection, i'd rather not need to remove my exhaust and put the stock one back on. Can i put cats on long tubes? Would i then need a long tube, cat, mid-pipe? Somewhere i read about mid range headers but cant seem to find them anywhere.

Or will i need to go shorty headers cats and whatever?

Your 98 is a romeo block. With ported P.I heads cams long tubes, you should be near you hp goal. As far as gears, do you dd the car? If yes I would do 4.10s. If not I would go 4.30s. Do you plan on racing the car or you just looking for more pep?

Hey nobody knows everything about everything, thats what these forums are for. Just after you are done building the car, please get it tuned. Or all your hard work (and money) will not be performing to the best of its ability.

Look at modularheadshop.com for heads. As for exhaust I would def. Do long tubes and a catted x. Look at lethal performance for their selection of headers and mid pipes.

I agree.. I have been doing a lot of research on heads and cams and I am going to get them from nick when i do them in the winter

Thanks for all the help everyone, im sure ill have more noob questions as i progress this project.

It sucks ass knowing next to nothing about cars and trying to do all this.

It's better to read this and other modular forums and to buy the right stuff then to guess. I have been working on cars my whole life and do it for a living and I don't know everything either, I do a lot of reading and see what works for other guys and what does not work..

My suggestion is to read other peoples builds and ask questions..

uuggghhhh, like i said this guy from work hooked me up with 4 of the i believe cobra rims, the 2 front wheels have rims on them. 275/40/17 so im getting on I-95 to come home from work and i gun it around an onramp to see how my new Nittos handle and i hear the fronts rubbing the hell outa something. Is this something that can be taken care of without getting new tires, ie: spacers? Luckily on the whole trip home i only heard the rubbing on the on ramp so i think it will be ok as long as i'm not gunnin long corners, but it is something i would like to take care of if possible.

And for the record ... The Nittos are friggin sweet, i love em already.