pics of my destroyed engine

pwcracer

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2000
Hastings, MN, USA
This is what happened to my engine after the balancer came off at high rpm. I guess you really should switch those things out before 90k miles.

sorry for the low pic quality.

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 412
  • engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 337
  • Sponsors (?)

The OEM balancer is almost a 2 piece design, the main part attached to the crank pulley remained, but the outer ring started spinning free. It also took out my timing cover as it was spinning. I was driving down the highway about 70 mph when it happened. it shook the car so bad I could hardly grab the shifter. I pulled over and had the car towed home. i then replaced timing cover, balancer and put it back together, only to hear a knocking sound at 3000rpm.. It only took one missed shift to
completely seize up the engine. It filled the entire highway with thick white smoke and spanned at least a mile.

When the piston came up it took out one of the heads too...

The OEM balancer is almost a 2 piece design, the main part attached to the crank pulley remained, but the outer ring started spinning free. It also took out my timing cover as it was spinning. I was driving down the highway about 70 mph when it happened. it shook the car so bad I could hardly grab the shifter. I pulled over and had the car towed home. i then replaced timing cover, balancer and put it back together, only to hear a knocking sound at 3000rpm.. It only took one missed shift to
completely seize up the engine. It filled the entire highway with thick white smoke and spanned at least a mile.

When the piston came up it took out one of the heads too...

SAME THING happened to my balancer, separated right into 2 peices. Motor just cracked 100k miles. Luckily I was doing donuts in the snow when it fell apart and it came apart on the way down in rpms so I got lucky. Threw a new balancer on and it was good to go. Replace those damn things asap!

wow, Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten lucky. My original one lasted 183k miles until I pulled it for a better motor, and my bro's lasted just shy of 200k before he pulled it for another motor.