Pictures of long tubes installed?

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I'm planning to do a fox body bellhousing/clutch fork swap on the Cobra to gain extra exhaust clearance with fox body headers. I'm aware of all that it entails (bellhousing/clutch fork, driveshaft spacer, new input shaft, etc), I just need to see some pictures of exhaust setups on foxes or SN95s that have had this done already so that I can determine which headers would give me the greatest ground clearance. Does anyone have pictures of BBK or JBA long tubes? I'd like to go with BBK if I can since they're much cheaper than the JBAs. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Had BBK fox 1 3/4 longtubes on my old 94. The ground clearance is not great. I have a ton of pics from this car if you need a specific shot. Do not under any circumstance get chrome ones...go with ceramic.
331stroker71.jpg

A6.jpg

Attachments

• 331stroker71.jpg
    331stroker71.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 299
  • A6.jpg
    A6.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 242
I have the BBK 1 and 5/8" ones, but for the SN, not Foxbody headers. The ground clearance is as good as it's going to get for longtubes. I do however have a hi port head which might help the situation a little though.

Kurt

Had BBK fox 1 3/4 longtubes on my old 94. The ground clearance is not great. I have a ton of pics from this car if you need a specific shot. Do not under any circumstance get chrome ones...go with ceramic.
Thanks for those! Specifically, I was hoping to see some underside shots close to parallel with the plane of the exhaust (if that makes sense). There are quite a few pictures to be found on a google search, but they are all taken perpendicular to the headers to show the whole installation; can't discern depth or anything, so I can't tell how much ground clearance is present. I was leaning more toward the 1 5/8" BBKs since I'm only running the stock block and have no plans for a power adder. They do look different where it may count for ground clearance, so we'll see.

I have the BBK 1 and 5/8" ones, but for the SN, not Foxbody headers. The ground clearance is as good as it's going to get for longtubes. I do however have a hi port head which might help the situation a little though.

Kurt
Right now I'm running Hooker 1 3/4" long tubes for a fox and the clearance is pretty bad. The German inspector failed my car less than a minute into the inspection. Since then I've been running stock springs with ½ coil cut up front. I should have told them my lowering springs were made in Germany.

I don't know from personal experience, but I have been studying up on the LTs so I know which to get myself, and more people than not say the MACs have the best ground clearance.
I haven't heard too much about MAC headers. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

The Meister on Vogelweh? He failed you for ground clearance? One of the old Bimmer's I had over there, I could get three fingers under the oil pan, but he failed me for frame to body bushings. Tough old German, until you see him downtown K-town.....then he was a tough old drunk German, that liked to buy beers....good dude in the end.
He failed my buddy's Fox for a leaking transmission, T-5. So we took it next door to the hobby shop, drained all the fluid out, then took it back...it passed.

I kept my Autobahn warriors in pretty good shape, use to lend people my tires for inspection....

good luck with shipping, when I was there is was bad price wise...sorry no header pictures...

Here are a couple chassis shots when I was bending my exhaust to fit.
Exhaust21.jpg

Exhaust25.jpg

Hope these help. I too would go with 1 5/8 unless your going to supercharge it.

Attachments

• Exhaust21.jpg
    Exhaust21.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 731
  • Exhaust25.jpg
    Exhaust25.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 505
The Meister on Vogelweh? He failed you for ground clearance? One of the old Bimmer's I had over there, I could get three fingers under the oil pan, but he failed me for frame to body bushings. Tough old German, until you see him downtown K-town.....then he was a tough old drunk German, that liked to buy beers....good dude in the end.
He failed my buddy's Fox for a leaking transmission, T-5. So we took it next door to the hobby shop, drained all the fluid out, then took it back...it passed.

I kept my Autobahn warriors in pretty good shape, use to lend people my tires for inspection....

good luck with shipping, when I was there is was bad price wise...sorry no header pictures...
A tough old German sounds about right. Everyone says that passing inspection kind of depends on what mood they're in. I figure that must be correct. I saw dozens of other cars driving around that were all but slammed to the ground that seemed to somehow pass inspection. I try to steer clear of K-town. Especially on the weekends. ;)

Here are a couple chassis shots when I was bending my exhaust to fit. Hope these help. I too would go with 1 5/8 unless your going to supercharge it.

Those do indeed help! I think it's safe to say that I'll definitely get more clearance with headers other than those currently on the car. I appreciate the pictures!

This is probably going to be a dumb question, but how does one even drive with headers hanging that low? I will be lowered on H&R Super Sports (about 2 inches all around) and want to run long tubes, but don't want to have to worry about ripping them off on a pot hole. Are fox long tubes any different ground clearance-wise?

Kurt

Can you shoot some pics of yours with the SN LT's particuallrly from the side so I can see the ground clearance. Didnt know this was an issue. I'm trying to decide if Im going to switch over to LT's. I currently run JBA shorties. But I dont see what the big difference really is between the 2. If there is one at all. Talk to me.

331stroker71.jpg

A6.jpg

What is that 3-4 inches from the ground???????? Thats pretty low.Thats asking for trouble up here in Michigan. And when did you sneak that 04 into your signature. Pic please lol!!!!!

Attachments

• 331stroker71.jpg
    331stroker71.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,803
  • A6.jpg
    A6.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,816
Here are a couple chassis shots when I was bending my exhaust to fit.
Hope these help. I too would go with 1 5/8 unless your going to supercharge it.
Did you by any chance have a k-member or motor mounts that dropped the engine slightly below the stock location on that car?

Some pics of that '04 would be nice too. :)

This is probably going to be a dumb question, but how does one even drive with headers hanging that low? I will be lowered on H&R Super Sports (about 2 inches all around) and want to run long tubes, but don't want to have to worry about ripping them off on a pot hole. Are fox long tubes any different ground clearance-wise?
The worst ground clearance I ever had was on my fox with hooker 1 5/8" long tubes with 2" lowering springs. You just have to be vigilant and avoid potholes and speed bumps whenever you can.

Did you by any chance have a k-member or motor mounts that dropped the engine slightly below the stock location on that car?

Some pics of that '04 would be nice too. :)

I had a an cheap Q1A K member and energy suspension mounts. The rest of the clearance around the k member and bell housing was good. They weren't that bad, just have to avoid any potholes and bumps. Of course, I only got 46 miles on them.

Yeah I snuck the Mach 1 in the sig and in the garage. Its bone stock except full length Bassani long tubes and exhaust with 12 K miles. I'm building my coilovers and suspension setup, so the 4 x 4 look will be gone soon. Replaced with all MM stuff.
04COMach138.jpg

04COMach119.jpg

View attachment 136893

View attachment 136895
View attachment 136897
No worries about any rubbing with the 4 x 4 look
04COMach115.jpg

Attachments

• 04COMach138.jpg
    04COMach138.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 04COMach119.jpg
    04COMach119.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 04COMach115.jpg
    04COMach115.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 243
I had a an cheap Q1A K member and energy suspension mounts. The rest of the clearance around the k member and bell housing was good. They weren't that bad, just have to avoid any potholes and bumps. Of course, I only got 46 miles on them.

Yeah I snuck the Mach 1 in the sig and in the garage. Its bone stock except full length Bassani long tubes and exhaust with 12 K miles. I'm building my coilovers and suspension setup, so the 4 x 4 look will be gone soon. Replaced with all MM stuff. No worries about any rubbing with the 4 x 4 look
I would assume that drop motor mounts or a k-member that does the same would negatively affect ground clearance. You've been most helpful to me.

That's a very nice Mach! Is that a small picture of an SSP coupe just above your taillight collection?

I get a little more ground clearance with BBK headers 1 and 5/8" due to the high port heads. Mine have been painted black because the chrome finish came off a long time ago.

IMAG0563.jpg

Longtubes give you more power and torque. They are definately worth it in my opinion. There are ground clearance issues on some setups, but once you get them in you'll realize there really isn't anymore room up in there to get more ground clearance out of them.

Kurt

Attachments

• IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 346
I get a little more ground clearance with BBK headers 1 and 5/8" due to the high port heads. Mine have been painted black because the chrome finish came off a long time ago.

Longtubes give you more power and torque. They are definately worth it in my opinion. There are ground clearance issues on some setups, but once you get them in you'll realize there really isn't anymore room up in there to get more ground clearance out of them.

Kurt
Thanks! I'm hoping to get a little more with the fox headers because the most obvious obstacle to more ground clearance on our cars is the 7-o'clock clutch fork position. I'm hoping that the fox BBKs take advantage of the 9-o'clock position on the that car's bellhousing. I remember my '86 GT had more power and even sounded more refined when I switched to long tubes from shorties.