Pilot Bearing Will Not Come Out

greencody433

Dec 25, 2020
USA
So I am on leave for Christmas currently and have to return to base by the 4th. I figured it would be a great time to change my throw out bearing and clutch since the bearing was making a lot the infamous squeaking noise. I got everything apart and out all the way down to the pilot bearing. I had purchased a pilot bearing puller from autozone and tried it at first. This just stripped the guts out of the bearing and left the race inside. I have tried wet paper towels, paper towels + grease, and just grease to push out the bearing using hydraulic pressure. None of these worked one bit and I'm becoming overwhelmingly stressed. I've even tried using a chisel to break the race and hope it would come out but no luck. I'm thinking about getting a dremel tool tomorrow and trying that out. Just pretty desperate for help seeing as I absolutely have to be done within a few days. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
10 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
I've used the AutoZone tool and it came out in to steps.First the innards came out then I pulled the outer part. Try using the tool on the outer part to get it out.

Reactions: 1 users

greencody433

Dec 25, 2020
USA
Well I ended up getting everything out and replaced. I gouged my crankshaft a little bit near the top where the pilot bearing goes in but the new one say flush and everything appears to be in order. Will I need to get a new crank?

MustangIIMatt

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
15 Year Member
Mar 7, 2002
Well I ended up getting everything out and replaced. I gouged my crankshaft a little bit near the top where the pilot bearing goes in but the new one say flush and everything appears to be in order. Will I need to get a new crank?
nah

PSKSAM2

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
NJ
mywebpages.comcast.net
Guess you have it solved now, but I thought I'd share a nice tool I used. Not a pilot bearing, but I had good luck removing a similar bearing from a wheel on my son's Razor electric dirt bike with the a Harbor Freight Three-Jaw Pilot Bearing Puller for $20. I started with a rental gear puller from Advance, but could get it to bite. They didn't have the clutch pilot bearing puller for rent, so I had to try elsewhere. Once I got it aligned right, the HF tool grabbed nicely and just pulled it out without much fuss.

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I've done the bread method too just to see if it could be done. I was skeptical, but all it took was one piece of bread and out it came