Pioneer head unit in Mach 1000

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
My buddy has a '99 GT with the Mach 1000 stereo system but he installed a Pioneer head unit and now it makes a crackling noise through the speakers when he starts the car.
Is it the amp? A bad connection? Would connecting the speakers directly to the head unit (bypassing the amp) work? We realize bypassing the amp will reduce the wattage. Anything else that would work or explain the problem?

Thank for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

since no one else replied I will try. I think its the head unit, but it might not be. I dont have a direct answer for why its cracking, but that doesnt normally happen. Bypassing the amp wont do anything but reduce wattage. (like you said). This might sound stupiod but check the pos. neg. connections and make sure they are right. might sound stupid but it makes a big deal. Ive been drinking, but I still think that itsw not normall.

My buddy has a '99 GT with the Mach 1000 stereo system but he installed a Pioneer head unit and now it makes a crackling noise through the speakers when he starts the car.
Is it the amp? A bad connection? Would connecting the speakers directly to the head unit (bypassing the amp) work? We realize bypassing the amp will reduce the wattage. Anything else that would work or explain the problem?

Thank for your help!

I've had speakers pop and wine when the car turned on before, and even when you hit any power button's. I ended up baypassing the amps. I really don't like changing the factory look but it's what had to be done.

Does it only crackle right when he starts the car? Or is it always making the sound. If it is only a quick poping noise it should be easy to fix by adding a resistor on the remote turn on lead. If the noise continues for a few seconds this method will not help and you probably have some bad equipment, or possibly a bad ground path with something. Having speakers wired out of phase (pos and neg backwards) will not cause that type of problem. I'm not too sure about the Mach 1000 system, I have been installing for 11 years and have never had one come through my shop...

Thank for your help!

You need a voltage regulator. The Pioneer puts out 12 volts to the amps, but the Shaker 1000 only needs 5 volts..

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my car, with Shaker 1000, and do not have any popping.

They are available at Radio Shack.

For more info, see my AVIC-D3 write-up.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=731487

No one else knows about the voltage regulator?? :shrug:

Here is the voltage regulator installed:
DSC01993.jpg

Single blue wire is FROM the head unit, gray is ground, and the two dark blue wires go out to the factory amps (via harness that connects to factory harness).

And here it is at Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599&cp

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/mustangparts65/AVIC-D3/DSC01993.jpg

did he use the metra 70-5519 wiring harness when he wired it all up?

I don't know, I'll check with him on that.

You need a voltage regulator. The Pioneer puts out 12 volts to the amps, but the Shaker 1000 only needs 5 volts..

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my car, with Shaker 1000, and do not have any popping.

I'll pass this on.

the Shaker 1000 is different than the Mach 1000. different h/u, different speakers, different amps.

sounds like he doesn't have the right wiring harness.

Hmm... technically yes.

I would still make a safe bet that the Shaker 1000 and Mach 1000 are similar in terms of the voltage they require to turn-on.

I was only making a suggestion.. It sounds to me like the exact problem one would experience when not using the voltage regulator.

I just talked to my buddy and was relaying him this information while he worked on the car with a few of our other friends ... when he told me it was actually a Mach 460 sound system and not a Mach 1000 ... so if this changes any of your responses, any help is appreciated.

did he use the metra 70-5519 wiring harness when he wired it all up?

He said it was not this, but did not mention what he did use, just that it was not the "metra 70-5519."

Would you recommend this advice for the Mach 460 as well?