piston choice

mcgee19d

Jan 6, 2012
I'm doing a rebuild on a 1994 5.0 planning on gt40p head gt40 intake and a bcam. I recently got a free set of dss forged .40 over flat tops would they be worth the machine shop with that setup? Any advice is welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't like to take a stock block more than .030" over. If you are ok with that, just about all the aftermarket pistons are going to give you enough valve relief for just about any setup.

Kurt

You don't have to go to a Sportsman block for those pistons. You can bore a stock block out to .040", just that I personally don't feel comfortable with that little bit of metal between the piston and the water jacket. Usually you don't pick the block to fit the piston. You usually pick a piston to fit the block.

Kurt

Those Speed pro hyper pistons are great for almost any N/A application. They will hold up almost to the limit of what a stock block can handle. If you are building a mild N/A engine, then it is a much better option to go with a good hyper piston then to spend a ton of money on an aftermarket block.

Kurt