Engine Piston Identification Help(Roller 5.0)

• Sponsors (?)

Boost, boost makes up for all the things
BOOST. Yes I was thinking boost in the future. After the build. Just based on the fact that a boost setup and build will put my over my current budget. But kind of figured I could do a build and then slap a turbo setup after the fact? Just put some decent internals and that shouldn’t be an issue right?

based on the combustion chamber that is likely an E6TE cylinder head... called them turbo swirl heads, undesirable and did come on the 86 HO but i dont remember the pistons used.
The casting number of the cylinder head, which is shown in the fourth pic by the OP, is E6SE. It is not E6TE...there was no E6TE head.

This would be what I would do, keeping a budget in mind.
Check out the explorer engine, if the compression is good and it does not have a ton of miles I would yank the heads, and get a set of aluminum heads, nothing fancy, a voodoo cam for that classic idle and good low end torque, duel plain intake (nothing fancy, they all make about the same hp and torque) a 650 cfm carb, long tube headers and full exhaust. A 355 gear in a 8.8.
now if I am interested to spanking your buddies bmw then I'm gonna need a turbo. More work, bigger budget.
Now I will park that mustang in a parking lot car show next to that bmw and watch people gather around my stang, they will point at the bmw and whisper as they walk by but gather at my car and talk.
so the choice is yours, budget build that has you cruising for years or a bmw spanking, money pit that did not come with jack stands.
I'm am not against turbos, they can be a reliable very fun way lay waste to rear tires and embarrass many newer cars but it come with a price. And I have not even begun on the brakes, suspension and other stuff that needs attention when building a car. Any car.

Okay I got a list together of items basically following your suggestions only adding in getting the block totally machined as well. Unless that was part of your original statement and I was confused.
I will add the list soon and see if you think I should change anything.
I don’t wanna go anywhere near suspension and all parts at the moment. It is however something I would like to address in the future and make this at the least a presentable car.
As for the the machining on the block what all should I be getting done to it and do you have any partially close ball park estimate of what it would cost.

Flo-Tek 203505 aluminum small block ford heads
E303 cam
Comp Cams high energy diecast aluminum 1.6 Rockers
Ford racing performance roller lifters
Summit Racing stage 1 intake manifold(I read somewhere that the 83 5.0 had a dual plane manifold stock... is this worth using?)
Holley 600cfm carb
New water pump, timing cover, oil pump, pick up.
MSD ignition and distributor.
Stock crank. New Summit Racing hypereutectic pistons. 4.030
Let me know if I’m my entire noobness has failed here or i need to change anything

Only advice I can offer is when choosing a Holley carb (or any other carb for that matter) look for upgradable options, some 570 and 600 cfm models do not easily upgrade, also look into head, cam, intake and carb kits, depending on your car use plan one of these 'kits' can save you money and are designed to work together.

So I did some searching into these pre packaged kits and it appears that the SVE top end kit is probably my best bang for the buck. I came across an Edelbrock kit as well. Am I going to see a real difference between the two? SVE says 300 plus HP and Edelbrock claims 367HP
Attached are both links in respective order.

Well the sve kit is less expensive with more stuff included, also gives you more info like cam specs and appears to be geared towards a roller block.
the cjpony kit is more money for less stuff, I think that the heads MAY be better, also no info on cam and says nothing about a roller block but with the 289-302 fitment in the title leads me to believe it is non roller. They likely make a roller version, check summit or jeggs for a bigger selection

I'd highly recommend reconsidering going with better quality parts. Not to say the SVE stuff is junk, but it is budget entry level equipment.

If you can splurge for the better quality stuff, i'd recommend it.

However, either way you will be happy with your power gains

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Had some time to dig into the explorer yesterday.
Took a reciprocating saw to the core support to speed things up. Hacked out all the wiring harnesses. Got the drive shafts out. 3 of 4 of the engine mount nuts. The last one is a pain due to the header, but should be able to get it today. Then work the transfer case off the trans and get a picker on the block. As for that process I’ve only pulled engines using the intake manifold plates and then hooking to that... it appears I’ll have to cradle the block to get it out as a whole with the trans. Is there any info I should be needing for this?

Attachments

• 0ED71138-F06E-4487-A82E-F59506015471.jpeg
    0ED71138-F06E-4487-A82E-F59506015471.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 121
Thank you for your input Mustang5L5. Would you have a kit that you would recommend over SVE?
I tried to do some looking into Jeggs but didn’t come across what I was looking for? Maybe I’m just blind?

I prefer this kit, although in your case you'd be selling off the EFI intake ($630 new).

I'd also look into a different camshaft than the TFS1 (which is the same cam in the SVE kit). It's a decent cam, but I think there are better options.

or with black VC's and intake (I think the black intake would sell easier)

Reactions: 1 user