Piston ring question (budget rebuild)

JChalfan

Nov 27, 2002
Bellevue, WA
I'm going to be pulling my engine this weekend to re-seal it and replace the cam and lifters, since one of the roller lifters stopped "rolling" and was making unpleasant noises.

While I have it out, I am planning on putting new rings and bearings in it. It's a 1990 engine with 145k miles on it.

My question is about what kind of piston rings I should use. I am not planning on honing the cylinders, so I was planning on using cast rings since I have always heard moly rings are difficult to get to seal without the proper crosshatch on the cylinders.

What are your guys's suggestions? At this point I don't have the money to do it right and get it bored and buy new pistons, so I'm stuck re-using my stock std. bore pistons.

Any budget-rebuild suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

Will do, thanks.

Jeff

Totally agreed! If you tear that motor down to re-ring it you HAVE to hone the cyl's out or the new rings, moly or cast, will NEVER seat. I overhauled my 170K motor with a good basic hone, moly rings and new bearings. Got over 7k on the overhaul and still running strong with great oil pressure and my MPG is back where it should be even with the ported heads.