piston to valve clearance

oosmytoo

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
Portland - Oregon
hey guys I tried checking piston to valve clearance on my new motor. heres what I have, DSS racing 331 with dish pistons, stg 1 cam, twisted wedge heads.
I went ahead and installed those dummy valve springs, put a piece of clay about 3/8" thick on all pistons, then assembled everything, turned it two revolutions. pulled it all apart and the valves never touched the clay.
so I was wondering if i did something wrong? Or do you think im ok to continue assembling it?

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with klapdout. I'm running the stage 1 with factory pistons, so with dished you probably have a ton of clearance. Planning on turning up the boost on that baby, eh? :nice:

I tried the clay method and found it annoying and too much work.

What I finally did was use the dummy springs with a pushrod and rocker, put a dial indicator on the rocker (directly over valve tip) then just pushed the rocker down untill the valve touched the piston and recorded the clearance. I tested it at every crank angle and found the minimum clearance. I liked that way better becuase you can do it after fully torqing the heads on for the most realistic results.

Clearance of more than 3/8" sounds wrong though. I don't want to insult your intellegence, but make sure the rest of the valvetrain is attached. Just the first, simplest check.