Planning my future engine build, help me see if missing anything!

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Okay, within the next year I am planning on building a 2v for my '99 GT Convertible. The car will be seeing FI either a centri like Vortech/Paxton or Procharger or a Turbo kit from here.
Products offered by Turbocharged Innovation
I currently still have the stock motor in the car with TF's TB and Plenum, a UPR X pipe and SLP Powerflo exhaust.

I am looking at purchasing everything independently with the internals being brand new. I will be running Windsor heads ported and some aftermarket cams either NA or turbo. I am looking for 400-600hp which is reliable and driveable daily if needed. I am building a list in my head and researching certain components to see if I like them or not. Here goes:

-Teksid Block-used
-Windsor PI heads, ported and timeserted. (MHS will probably do the work since they are somewhat local) New valves/retainers etc.
-FelPro Head Gaskets
-PP Harmonic Balancer SFI approved
-New Timing Set
-MHS turbo or NA cams/new cam bolts/cam gears/valvesprings since Windsor is press on
-MMR Street Mod 1000 rotating assembly
---Kellogg crank, Manley rods and pistons and ARP hardware 18cc (9.5cr)piston for SC and 23cc piston for turbo (8.9cr)
---Clevite bearings etc.
---MMR Teksid side bolt kit
-Cobra Oil Pan, Pickup, Windage Etc.
-8 bolt Billet Steel Flywheel
-31 spline TracLoc/31 Spline axles
-Driveshaft Loop

• Sponsors (?)

If the teksid is used, have the shop check it first to see if you need a +.020 assembly after boring/honing.
You dont need felpro if you're thinking you need to, unless you're going for a different deck height.
You also dont need a kellog crank if you think you need one, I picked up a cobra crank out of a 01 cobra for $130, propperly balanced and deburred they've gone to 1200hp and 8200rpms.
Make sure to decide on cams based on what you're going to run for sure. NA cams aren't bad for turbos, but they aren't the greatest for S/C's.
There's no need to run bigger dish for turbo's, the 18CC will work great for both. In fact turbo's are better at useing compression than any other form of boost.
Dont forget a melling oil pump.
And why the balancer?

I have a friend whose dad runs a wee little shop that builds motors, he is more experienced with BBC's and SBF's, but he knows his stuff. I'm buying this stuff to be enough to last in case I want to turn up the boost if I get that sort of feeling.
The only reason I listed the Kellogg crank is the fact that it comes with the MMR Street 1000.
I list NA cams because I have seen good results with CMS stage 2's and Centri Blowers. I will add a Melling Oil Pump to my list.

Thanks!