Planning On Doing A 4.6, Or 5.0 Swap! Need Tips :)

FiveOhSwap98

Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Hey y'all! I'm new to this forum, so bare with me. I recently bought a 98' Mustang V6, and it's head gasket blew. I was driving around the block, and the temperature gauge went to the red line. When I got home to my backyard, I popped the hood and there was a bunch of coolant that had been splashed all over the engine bay. Anyways, I really like this car and do not want to sell it because its body is in such good condition. Please don't tell me to sell the car and get a GT, because it will be easier. I don't care how hard thisswap is going to be, or how long it will take, I'm doing this swap no matter what. Now that that is out of the way, I would like to know what will be needed to do this swap, parts, etc... I know that I will be needing an engine and transmission, but what are ALL the other parts that will be needed for this swap to happen. A detailed reply to this thread would be great, as I haven't seen many detailed explanations and/ordirections to do this swap. Thank you everybody

• Sponsors (?)

Anybody??? Please y'all I need help!!! So far I've got a 1995 Ford Mustang 5.0L engine, tranny, k member, tranny x member, computer, & wiring harnesses. Am I missing anything, cause this is seeming to be an easy swap lol... Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

More or less should be pretty much a straight swap your stock exhaust probably wont bolt up to the 5.0 and you may or may not need motor mounts and a 5.0 radiator... The wiring will probably be the biggest headache do to you going from a OBD2 setup to a OBD1 setup and in truth but i'm not 100% on that...

If I were you ill sell the motor and trans you got and find a wrecked 96-04 GT and just set the 2 cars side by side and start swapping parts over

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I've heard about it being pretty straight forward but the wiring is what's gonna get me. Is the wiring really going to be that hard? The wiring is going to be a direct fit right? I hope I don't have to splice anything. I can't seem to find any donor cars, that's why I just bought the engine, tranny, k member, x member, computer & wiring harnesses. I guess I'll just put them up on Craig's, and try to find me a donor car. Any 5.0L would work right? I'm thinking of finding me an 86-93 instead of a 94-95. Would that be the better choice? Thanks!

If you already got the 94-95 5.0 just stick with it there's not any really deference between them besides the intake and I here the 94-95 was down 10hp from the older 5.0... Like I said i'm not 100% on the wiring sins iv never done this particular swap but i'm pretty positive its going to be different... But you mite be able to make things easier on yourself by swapping over the chassis harness from a 94-95 and just convert the hole car to OBD1 so everything plugs right in... And if you don't already have one you will need the MAF out of the 94-95 and mite want to upgrade to the GTs rear differential sins V6 cars tend to have weaker components...

Hmm... If I need the chassis wiring harness, MAF sensor, and the rear end off a 94-95 GT, then I might as well get me a 94-95 donor. I think it'd make things more easier. I have a friend here who is planning on doing the same swap as I am, except he's doing it in his 99 New Edge. I think he would be interested in buying all my parts. I'm going to ask him if he is still on the hunt for parts, if he is I'll just give him a killer deal on all mine. But for now on, I'm going to start looking for a 5.0L Mustang! I've looked all over Craig's, I just can't seem to find one for a good price. All the Mustangs out here in Canada are WAY over priced. Have you seen the Canadian Craig's? If you ever have the time to check it out, look on the Vancouver B.C Craigslist. I don't understand why Mustangs are so expensive. 20 grand for a god damn 93 5.0L with 150,000... You've got to be kidding me! Anyways, where else can I look for a donor car? I've been to a few scrapyards, and they said they can't legally sell me a wrecked car... I don't understand why but enough of me rambling. Thanks for taking your time and replying man! Really appreciate all the advice/help I can get at this moment! Looking to hear from you again! :)

Really wish i could be of better help... 20k holy crap you can get the same car here in Ohio for 2-6k less if it needs work... You can also check on Facebook there are multiple Mustang groups you can join that buy-sell-trade iv joined a couple local groups on there and they always seem to have better deals then CL...

At this moment, all the tips/advice I can get it is well worth knowing! Thanks again :) I was in New Jersey about a month ago, and I was on CG looking for a nice foxbody and I've seen many nice ones for under $5,000. I wish I lived in America! Lol anyways, I'm off to sleep. I will definitely check on some groups on Facebook in the morning. Goodnight bud, and thank you for replying to my thread! :)

Reactions: 1 users