Planning on painting chin spoiler

03redgtstang

Banned
Apr 24, 2007
Have search and found the after results of people pics (ambo's) and what not but not advice on actually doing this. If there is a thread sorry and please link me. I also see flex paint is used? I know alot of people aren't too excited of the idea and prefer to leave it black, but I am getting a used one that has previously been painted for free, so I figure why not give it a go once I get the old paint off. Can anyone give me advice on doing this painting. Exact paint used, where to get it, steps involved, clear coating needed? Any advice would be helpful since I really dont know where to start.

BTW mine is perf. red. What do you think of that color painted?

• Sponsors (?)

Well I guess you are asking what type of 'rattle can' paint to use?? If you don't use black then its probably gonna look bad whenever rocks and what not hit it (I'd assume) ... I paint with a paint gun and use PPG paint but as for rattle cans ... well, the best that I've found for use on plastic is Krylon Fusion It is pretty durable, I've used it on misc. stuff. It's also shiny enough that you wouldn't have to clear it.

i just did a quick chop of my car with a painted chin..should give you a good idea:

35.jpg

wow thanks all for the replies dtnodya, i think that pic looks prety good. I think i will go with the red, seeing as pretty much nobody has that too. Is there anyway to exactly match up the color, can I get a can directly from ford or something? I want it to blend well obviously.

I don't think you can get a spray can from Ford, though I could be wrong. The only place I can think off the top of my head is http://www.paintscratch.com. You give them your color code and they make up a batch of paint, put it in an aerosol can and ship it. I know one person that did this and it matched very well for an aerosol paint. You could go to an auto parts store and buy the aerosol touch up paint for your color and probably have about the same results.

Here's how to get the best results -technique wise-

Before you paint it ... Wash it with dish washing soap and water .. Next sand the old paint off. Use like 320 grit. Before you prime it, wipe it down GOOD with wax and grease remover and fresh paper towels. Then wipe it over good with a tack rag (available at like autozone, just get the BLUE ones .. very inexpensive). Next prime it with a 'filler primer' or 'primer surfacer'. After that, sand it smooth with higher grit (600 or 800). Then hit it with the wax and grease remover and tack rag again (wear latex gloves so you don't touch it with your skin). Now spray a light coat and let it flash (dry) for 5-10 minutes and then spray two good coats waiting 10-15 mins between. If you do this, you will have good results even with crappy paint. :nice:

Then clear it if you want...

Hey man, thanks alot thats a great site ill probably go with that. The only thing is im confused now, Ithought my color was perf. red as ive seen many people say that color (is the same as your car) but that place is saying the only options for a 03 gt are colorado red, and redfire pearl metallic?

Hey man, thanks alot thats a great site ill probably go with that. The only thing is im confused now, Ithought my color was perf. red as ive seen many people say that color (is the same as your car) but that place is saying the only options for a 03 gt are colorado red, and redfire pearl metallic?

what is the color code on your door? performance red i believe was only on the Limited 35th Editions in 99..i could be wrong tho

btw the pic DTN posted is of my car :p

The red car in the pic I photoshopped is Nighthawk's .... My car is "chrome yellow" .. I just noticed that he pointed that out already .. :D

What is your color code? If you don't know what I'm talking about, open your drivers door and look at the side where the door closes .. there is an information sticker with your vin and tire pressure, etc.. Look down towards the bottom and find the two letters on the left side below the barcode looking thing.

FWIW, another site I just remembered is:
http://www.automotivetouchup.com

The colors names can sometimes get confusing .. like my car is a 98 GT and the color is "Chrome Yellow" but I think it was also called "Canary Yellow" .. But then there's that pastel easter egg yellow ...

Nighthawk, you talking about something like this? I know the lines are not perfect because I did it kinda quick but if these are the type of stripes, post a pic of your car from a higher angle and I'll do a good job with em ...

35cop3ycopyvq9.jpg

i guarantee there is a shade difference. get paint that matches D3..dont concern yourself with the actual name of it when it comes to painting...if u just want to know for the hell of it...idk what to tell you lol